Monday 23 November 2009

Mills and Doyle

As the week wears on, interest in the weather forecast increases, to a point on Thursday or friday where its almost every other thing I do - refresh the weather page. No amount of refreshing changed what was to be a complete wash out in weather terms this weekend. The honey monster was Chester bound to go see a friend, so I was continuing into Wales to the Cave - which was in the worst condition I have ever seen!

Doyle had warned me, but I still wasnt prepared - the whole cave was completely the wrong colour - condensation saturating almost every hold. There were people in the very back pulling on clammy holds, but I was warned that sudden dismounts were of the order of things. My boots remained in the car. Doyle had offered a backup tour of the Mill, so it was there we headed. Before we talk about that, whilst on the subject of the cave, I think there was ed Robinson's mate Dave there - who I thought had gone away somewhere? and also Richie Crouch - who I think I have met before. Richie looked pretty strong and was doing what I think a reasonable link through the dirt at the back towards the wobbly jug. I have tried these moves, and I dont think I could even pull on!

The rain continues to fall in stair rods. The car steams up, theres standing water on the road and no sign of the sun. We drive towards the mountains and pull up outside a large stone mill building. My enthusiasm (which would usually have been at fever pitch by now) is dampened by the river running down the road, and the rain scratching at my face. Doyle fumbles with a heavy padlock - inside, I'm met by a scene I imagined from Jerry's youth! Wow. What a great space. Its a two storey working building which is partially rented out to the board collective. The board is upstairs. Climbing the aforementioned stairs is terrifying - its dark, theres sharp looking tools strewn across the floor and the magnified sound of the wind and rain frustrated by the roof of the building. Just like the school theres some grimness required before the fun begins, and when he manages to plug the lights in I am greeted by a behemoth of a board in an incredible spacious layout. This is an awesome facility!

The mats are covered with the detritus of climbing wall manufacture, which is why its a bit unloved at the moment. Unjustly so in my eyes - a really good climbing wall quality board with proper mats and everything. Granted it could use some homely touches, but it is also a working building - so what do you expect. I get a good tour from Doyle and although we only have a two hour session, when we leave I am ready to do so. Do some good problems and leave one of my own. I have a pic, and will upload it in a bit.

Spoke to Edlog yesterday (the scarlet pimpernel! will our paths ever cross again?!) and he reckons the tor was mint on saturday. I had a big change to do (network integration) early this morning, so my 7hrs will be done by lunchtime, and I wonder about heading torwards. Rubicon will surely be flooded? I would be suprised if the Tor is allright to be honest - I mean friday was ok, so perhaps thats why it was alright on sat...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, I was there yesterday (Sunday, not Satyrday) arvo and it was primo. Even the lowest, deepest, darkest pockets seemed to be bone dry! Hasnt rained much overnight and the wind is blowing still, so expect it to be good again. Quite surprising.
Enjoy.

Richie Crouch said...

Aye it was good to meet you Ben. Don't think I've seen you there before but definitely met jimlog a few times and foley.

Those conditions were ferocious! It was a bit dismaying to watch the rock condense and not be able to toe hook the wet rock anymore on In Hell/Life.

Apparently rockfall has closed the drive so time to get some fitness. May try and head the Tor at some point this week, as I'm keen to try Ben's Roof so might see you there :)

p.s. I have been the Mill once with Jamie and thought about going to get an x ray on my lungs after all the dust inhilation, nice ambiance though I must agree!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can make cash by locking special areas of your blog or site?
Simply join AdscendMedia and use their Content Locking tool.