Tuesday 7 July 2009

Pub Job

In the Guardian a couple of weeks ago was a 'Best pub guide', and in
it the entry for Sheffield was the Kelham Island Tavern. Usually, if I
was in that neck of the woods I'd go to the Fat Cat but with this new
knowledge like a feather in my cap, so this was the destination for
the first friday of the month traditional pub outing.

In times past, so every friday and saturday our little band of chums
would meet up and drink beers, and sometimes go out raving etc etc.
Enthusiasm waned, tiredness and homeliness appealed and we all stopped
going. Then one of our number (not me) took the initiative and set up
a recurring Crackbook event to get us to the pub once a month on the
first friday. Its been a good kick up the arse to stop us all from
slothing. I know I am so tired on Fridays that it feels hard at first,
but when I get out its all worth it.

Anyway, this boozer. Very good. Very small inside, but a lovely
trellised beer garden and some nice ales to sample. Farmers Blonde on
tap too. I have a bit of a problem with farmers blonde. I really like
the taste of it, but fairly consistently it seems to give me a
headache. That was Friday.

She and I were up early on Saturday to go to Church, visit the wedding
reception venue and do some other jobs. A busy day ended in the cinema
watching Ice Age 3 - which is palatable, but ultimately empty rubbish.
Still havent seen Star Trek about which I have heard only good things.

Sunday, again its all about the jobs, the house cleaning, the endless
washing etc etc. Drive up to Leeds to see my sister for tea. She has a
new house which she and hubby Andy have bought out in Horsforth. Its
well nice. On a funny sort of crescent road which feels oh so
desperate housewives. House has been previously owned by guy whose
wife died 15 years since, and the absence of the female touch is all
too obvious in the little things around the place. Nothing a bit of
tittivation wont cure.

Last night I was keen to climb again, and it was a good bit cooler.
Headed to the works to meet Dylog and EdRob. Good session, still kinda
warm - ran out of skin and pain threshold before really exhausting
muscles, but it feels like low season for climbing hard at the moment.
Nacho the problem demonstrator is amazing. I love him. I get to abuse
him and he just laughs through it all - I imagine he is plotting some
sort of hideous vengeance involving chorizo. You jump on a problem,
fail, Nacho comes and does it and then you get to follow. And he
manages to do it without being a cock about it. I dont get a 'woo woo
look at me' vibe from him, just a 'I am psyched out of my tiny mind'
vibe of him wanting to climb. Plus, he is captain inspiration.

News that the Copley boys are in situ at Raven Tor reaches my ears.
Whilst this shouldn't be a problem, I feel a bit uneasy about this
whole situation. I am concerned (possibly unfounded) about the leaving
of litter and about them having fires, neither of which may happen -
lets hope not. But my main concern arises out of hearing that locals
and fishermen have already been complaining about the parking
situation, and I cant imagine some dudes camped out in Ben's roof is
going to make things better - not of course, that they are using a
parking space! more that if the locals are already pissed, then this
is fuel to the fires. What I think we have to keep in mind is that we
are privileged to be able to climb at some of these places, and its
best to keep a low key presence where possible. Its not essential that
they stay at the tor - there is an excellent youth hostel within
walking distance, and, the better rested you are, the better climbing
you will do.

Rest of the week looks like this - Wednesday - out somewhere.
Potentially with Folog, Dylog and Edlog. Maybe check this tube place
out? (although I would like to do BlueBand/Staminaband

1 comment:

Stallion said...

"A busy day ended in the cinema
watching Ice Age 3 - which is palatable, but ultimately empty rubbish."

Exactly the feelings shared by my 4 year old son. WTF?