Tuesday 23 February 2010

Dreams of a Snow Cave

You know that feeling when you know you are missing out on something? horrible isnt it. However, you could either wallow in self pity and whinge on about having missed out or you can move on and try to forget about it. I knew the others were going to be out on Saturday afternoon, and i also knew that karma would rub my nose in it by having them arrive in the car park as i left. Ah well, as I said...

First up to the plantation on Saturday morning. Felt pretty fresh, a bright gritstone mega day? dunno whether it was just me, but I thought things were prone to dampening - i.e. it would look and feel dry, but repeated use of a hold resulted in its blackening. Yet it didnt feel like there was moisture in the air, so perhaps it was dew point or something. Anyway. I started off at Jerry's traverse. I dont know why i bothered - this really is log. Went up to GT and the snow on top had now started to melt and the holds were wet. Went and did pebble arete a couple of times - having to hand traverse along the lip as the top was a snowy death trap. Padded along deliverance slab and gazed at the top. Except for that I have a witness, I wouldnt believe i'd done it! Skip the Ace and move to Back in the YMCA - still 8c. HTY has a big wet melt streak and some irritating student types are sat on the edge : "oh gosh, johnny - a rock climber" etc. I scuttle off to the Pit. Its dry - amazing. I'm intrigued to try this in solutions, having only ever done it leading right hand first and in 5.10s. It feels like cheating! on my second go I get the jug. Amazing. Have a coffee, couple more goes - trying to get it wired - its a good problem. Manage to make it work the left hand first way, and it is easier, but flexibility dependant. Classico.

I move to Silk. There's still a 3ft drift/glacier beneath it. You can basically pull on after the crux of the boulder problem, however, thats not the crux of the route - oh no. Its blummin thin and tenuous and high. I get up there, realise all of this and reverse down as much as I can before pad skiing down the hill. JLS and new dad Jon boy turn up. Guffawing ensues and I reluctantly start to walk down. Only to find Adam unpacking in the car park, then Edlog, jim, Dylog and Folog all arrive (separately - one car each!). Stay and chat for half an hour, already late leg it home. Spend all afternoon sulking - it really is a mint day. So, in report from the rest of them I understand the best effort is Folog repeating west side story at the end of the day.

It wasnt supposed to snow on Saturday night. I do hate impromptu bad weather. Stubbs and I were talking about pleading for a sunday pass, but there was no point. Bimbled. Went to the Depot yesterday. First full day on their board (when I say full day, I mean 'session'), and I really enjoyed it. Its very hardcore that board. Harder than the works. Set three new ones which I have mailed Olly for him to include. Will upload them when get chance later.

Tomorrow I have arranged a half a day flex. I have to come to leeds unfortunately, but should be free by 1130 and on the road to wales. Yes, its another cave raid. I just hope the cave doesnt let me down!

No comments: