Friday 12 February 2010

Zoo Log

Typically, the beautiful spell of awesome weather has been and passed whilst i have been at work. Thankfully flexi time exists, and was fully utilised yesterday to make a lunchtime raid on Caley roadside.

For years I have lusted after the prize which is Zoo York, and for years I have thought I needed a spotter and never really prioritised it as a goal. The problem climbs an awesome looking prow starting sat on in a bit of a pit which you climb out over the edge of. Theres a bit of a split level platform to land cock eyed across and because of this I've always shied away from really going for it on my own.

Anyway, with two pads and a bit of sense applied to their location, plus a pinch of just actually trying it to see whether you do indeed shoot off backwards down the hillside, I made progress. So much so in fact, that I went from not really thinking I was in with a hope, but going to work the moves, to actually being able to concieve of doing it (noone ever said I had a lack of imagination!).

I'd never previously held the hard stab off a right hand undercut into tape box edge (because I was worried about tumbling down the hill), but yesterday (with Ed Robinson's beta) I changed my feet, hence my body position, and found I could do the move. The move after that is ok - if your hips are in the right position, and from there to the top theres a hard cut loose to hold, and a wierd heel move, but its certainly after the meat of the difficulties.

Having now done the move for the first time I set the timer and clean the holds. In my head I could actually envisage getting to the top. Sense would suggest working the top to get it wired, so that if I got there from the ground I would know what to do, but being the top its also higher and the fall unknown. I'd be happy to get to and hold the tape box edge from the ground I think, and thats just what happens. I am well psyched. I have another couple of goes, wanting to get to the cut loose to see if I can hold that it in, but its tearing chunks out of my right index and I'm tiring.

Its good to have a project again. The only problem now is that I cant wait to get back there. I think I'd be suprised to do it on the next session (but it is possible with a trailing wind and favorable skin), but can reasonably imagine doing so on the one after that. And, all this whilst a portly 11st10lbs! I have to admit, I felt a lot of pressure going through my fingers swinging around on those crimps. 11st4 would see me at the top perhaps?

1 comment:

uptown said...

Good to have a great project Dob. Let me know when you're next flexi-hit is and I'll try to join you. The reasons you gave for not getting stuck in before ring true for me too. I need your SYKE.