Tuesday 13 April 2010

Pump up the Pennells

I honestly thought that perhaps the lime season was near last wednesday. A whole team (sam, harry, dom, dylan and myself) went to the tor in the evening - and it was good. Powerband offered dry slots, but pooling footholds, even Stamina band had dry undercuts - got quite excited. A fair wind whistled down the right hand side and conditions there were primo. Less so in the middle where the scoop of the crag insulates from the wind. Dylog and i failed on Chimes. Man of the match goes without doubt to the mighty Harry Pennells, who after at least six ridiculously controlled (you could say overpowered) redpoints finally managed to close his account on Pump up the Power. He looked delighted, and rightly so - its a fine tick to have, brutal and quintessentially Tor.

Things went so well on Wednesday, that when Saturday came and it was too hot for brown rocks, the Tor beckoned once more. Only this time it was log. There was absolutely no wind and lethargy was the order of the day. Plus, the slots on powerband were now slimy. At least once I shot off horizontally. That and the humidity meant skin got nailed fast and basically couldnt be bothered. A the wrong time of day, and B poor conditions.

In the evening we went to Ed and Colette's for dinner. They've moved back to Sheffield at long last, and this was our first look at the new gaff. Its well nice! Recently we'd been looking at Saddleworth (as in, for a move) and I think we had taken for granted all that Sheffield offers. So we dont think we do want to leave after all now. I mean, you get a lot more for your money over there but you also loose out on the ability to be able to do all sorts of things we enjoy. So for now at least, we are staying. Anyway, after a lovely evening, we head home to find our outhouse door wide open and the bikes missing. Scars on the door suggest the padlock smashed off. I phone it in to the police and expect nothing back. In the morning I got proved wrong as they found my bike in a garden on Endcliffe Vale road - which is amazing. Intact too, and beside it - a pair of bolt cutters. So, whether the burgulators thought they had been rumbled and got rid of incriminating evidence or something I dont know, but we are back up 50% on bikes. Still, you wouldnt have thought that our road would be a target. Especially not our house, as its right at the bottom of the road, and you'd have to walk past a lot of other houses to get to it. Part of which makes me think that perhaps we were targetted?...

Although conditions looked much more favourable yesterday, Mondays is all about training. I am not allowing myself out on Mondays - no matter how good it is. Noone ever got strong mincing around on the grit. Last night I did a bit with weights on (on the board) and did some going in circles. It felt good. I am convinced that this strategy will yield results. I am allowed out on Wednesdays however, but this is the source of dilemma. There are many options, but anything involving flex is out due to volume of work. In other words, I will be working until at least 1500. I need to decide what I am going to do, as I could be starting the day in Leeds. The thoughts and factors are thus : there are people going to Malham. Then on the radio this morning they said it was going to go cold = Zoo York, but I have a split fingertip. Ned wants to go to Candy Buttress. Foley doesnt know what he wants. Dylog is keen but has cat Aids. The only thing I definately cant do is meet Jim in the cave. But he is going.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can make dollars by locking premium areas of your blog or website?
All you need to do is to join AdWorkMedia and use their content locking plug-in.