Thursday 24 July 2008

PooTier

The heat was stifling. Even just sat working on my laptop in the attic I was getting clammy paws. The team fluctuated between 5 and 3 as plans evolved through the morning, but in the end only three set out. As we dropped into Cheedale we met two teams on the way out, all of whom confirmed our fears - it was crap. There wasn't going to be any pulling on small holds for me. Crossing the river cooled the metal in Dylan's legs such that he writhed in the nettles until some warmth returned, whilst Lucy and I put a rope on Subterfuge. Quality Control followed that, and then we moved to Darl. I rumbled to the top of the groove, climbed up into the traverse, climbed back down again. Each time I climbed down I got a poor rest, nothing back but a bit of courage returned. I pushed on, I came back, I pushed on, I came back. This continued until I was irreversibly pumped and slumped onto the rope. Stick clipped the next clipper, summoned the courage to push on, and actually, the climbing was very easy, if a little committing. Rumble up to the belay and lower down with hurty hands and feet. Lucy follows on a topper, Dylan crushes it on the sharp end.
 
I have a go on Countdown on the back of the rope. This previously stopped Paul and I, but again - it was the end of the day and our second consecutive day on. Get to the second bolt but fall off moving past it. Not until I lower to the ground do I realise I have exhausted my stored energy and have no food or water left. Stuff down handfuls of Dylan and Lucy's jelly beans and force Dylan up the route in my place. The sun is fully out by now and we're all worn out. Walk out bumping into Si Holmes and Tom Briggs at the embankment. Back in Topley Pike the car reads 28.5degrees. Good conditions? no. I'm saving entree for when its cooler. Ted and I were blessed on Saturday.
 
Out with work tonight. Ned and Keith have both expressed an interest in Saturday action, and potentially we have lined up a tour from Variable. I guess it all depends on the weather - which looks dicey.

3 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

Bumped into Rob last night who said it was horrible down there....Bad luck.
Hopefully for the next two weeks i'll be free to get out as much as possible instead of cancelling last minute.

t_b said...

Pretty smeggy on the Embankment, but did Stone the Loach (7c), which I can recommend in poor conditions - big moves between positive holds. V flashable with a bit of knowledge.

bonjoy said...

I've always rated Stone the Loach. One of the few 7cs in the Peak with the right sort of sustained, not too cruxy or sharp climbing, to be good training route for doing laps on.