Thursday 31 July 2008

Dylan's theory is that because it has been warmer and wetter than usual, there are a greater number of flying bitey things in the air, and that he too has been nursing a bite, but his is on his hand and hasn't swollen like a carcass left in the sun like mine has. All agreed that my elbow is horrid. But I felt ok and so we headed out to see if the Cornice was dry. It wasnt. Nearly was but all a bit wet in the back of pockets, and there's more rain on the way today apparently.

Ed and I stayed at Rubicon. It was sweltering, but doing the warm ups in the heat made me feel quite dizzy. I am hoping to blame the malarial death bite on my elbow (going to the docs about it today. Shouldnt last a week should bites, and, it really knocked me for 6 and is more swollen than you'd expect. Suspect they shall just recommend anti histamines). Ed was having redpoint attempts on Caviar, and to be honest he looked pretty good on it. It could have been on, but it was one of those days when you only get a couple of goes before your hands go hot and red.

Harry, Mina and Neil were all there to boulder, and then to try Salar. I decided I would attempt to flash Too Old to be Bold. My attempt ended beside the first bolt. My hands hurt and felt cheesy on the grips, my skin was rolling off the sharp painful crimps. Worked out a sequence and lowered off.

Ed strips caviar and prepares for a flash attempt on totbb. He wobbles, moans about the holds but keeps it together and pushes through to the top. A fine effort. I grit my teeth, get to the top but slip off the jug and clatter to the ground again. Thankfully, my next go is succesful and I can take my boots off and relax. I celebrate my latest ascent by going for a shit. The two events are comparible.

Dylan has a go and finds himself slithering around on the crux footholds. He decides not to bother and strips the route. We drive home. The end.

Here are some piccies from Queens crag up in the County.

1 comment:

Fiend said...

Great description of the value of success on Too Old...

The Queen's photos are a bit....homoerotic. Queen Kong is a world class line though...