Tuesday 1 July 2008

Hot brothers, dangerous fun

Its quite clear that moaning does not make popular reading. Noone wants to read things aren't going well, and perhaps it's not that they aren't, it's just that it's really chuffin hot and I'm not on it right now. In no other sport do the athletes (!) expect 100% of themselves 100% of the time. I've certainly had a great start to the year, and so I should probably just enjoy the summer and not worry about it.
 
I think usually I'd be able to accept my being rubbish whilst its hot, but I think this current rubbishness is more than because of the heat, I do wonder if I still have a trace of that non descript muscle wasting virus lurking around. I feel significantly weaker than I have felt in years, and am a bit worried about it.
 
Enough drivel. On to gossip. At one of my favorite places - Rubicon, Jon and Paul have replaced the bolts in Hot Fun Closing and the Dangerous Brothers. I was going to be helping, but got stuck in traffic/wanted to climb. On that note, the wave has been reset (at last!). Ed Robinson and I are heading to Wales this weekend - which is very exciting. I've downloaded JLS on Lou Ferrino to my iPod, but given the current potential form issues that may be optimistic. James Foley seems in good spirits despite his bad finger, which does sound like a month off from his description.

2 comments:

bonjoy said...

Even if you're power has slipped a bit you are still probably overstrong for the vast majority of routes in those grades. It's power endurance and efficient application on rock that matters at this time of year.
Feel free to lecture me back ;)

bonjoy said...

Ooops, chopped the top of my post off. Try again


I don't want to sound like I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but...
If you've been spending some time doing/trying routes, your basic strength will obviously dip to some extent. You can't be your best at all aspects of climbing all at once. The fact is you don't need to be able to piss up font 7c/+ problems to do 8a-8b routes. Even if you're power has slipped a bit you are still probably overstrong for the vast majority of routes in those grades. It's power endurance and efficient application on rock that matters at this time of year.
Feel free to lecture me back ;)