Tuesday 2 September 2008

The importance of being basic

I've a real sense of excitement about getting back to rubicon soon. I really want to get the dangerous brothers done, and I'm frightened it will flood before I get chance. We're not around this weekend, so I have to get it tomorrow. So, when I left work last night and it looked pretty good I tried to persuade Dylan into a smash and grab raid. Apparently it was raining in Sheff, and a once a week beasting on the board is a great reintroduction having spent the summer being stricken and doing routes.

Delightfully, the mystery illness has definately gone. i feel my old self again, which is such a relief. If I see you and appear to be (more than usually) babbling on about something, its because I'm on the up - happy that I can climb again, and I feel all that lies between me and greatness is hard work and application. I.e. theres nothing else holding me back. You could also argue that I have removed my excuse barrier, but I think thats a good thing.

I think my foundry membership, which seemed like such a good idea at the time, may not turn out to be such good value after all. But, its a bit like a smoker waiting for the bus - as soon as you light up, one arrives. Had I not joined up, thinking I'd be able to train on a board soon, no board would have materialised. But because I joined, there's now Dylan's board and the possibility of getting back in to the school. Winter is looking up! I'm also excited about Winter because I have got loads of stuff I want to do on the grit. I'm really looking forwards to the change in style too. To getting wrapped up and not having to drive as far as the tor, to going out with big teams and eating chips in cafes. Brilliant. I had possibly the best winter climbing I've ever had, and that was thanks to getting about a bit more, and having a great big list of things to do. Gritstone bouldering is for me an undermined medium, and so with all that to look forward to, of course I'm getting psyched.

Anyway, had another great session with Dylan and Garry at his board. It was a long session though, and I think I approached it with a little too much gumption. An hour and half in my elbows were aching and my hands had taken on a glowing red hue. Another pot of coffee and a rest for ten minutes wasn't enough to fix it, but the prospect of showing off was. When you're pretty much beaten, and theres nothing left to give, you're on the verge of taking your boots off and going home, only someone struggling on a problem that you think looks ok can get you back on the board! ha. Brilliant. Went home utterly utterly crushed, but not before enjoying three hours of a fantastic pumping techno mix from Adam Beyer, via Keith. Its absolutely brilliant. This is the music I like :

 
Billed by Keif as training music, its unstoppable. Keeps getting better and better. 4hrs long.

So, its back to Rubicon tomorrow. Tribes, dangerous brothers and possibly Zeke. Finally, an exciting bit of news - this morning, for the first time since spring, the car registered single figure temps. Roll on winter.

9 comments:

Slap Holds! said...

I'm listening to the Beyer mix as I type. Awesome

The only reason I carried on climbing was the fact that you were flailing on the board hahahaha

I'm psyched for the lime, grit and super board this winter

BRING IT ON BITCHES

lore said...

dob,
you made me utterly envious with this post. the idea of an approaching winter in the peak makes me salivating, my blood pressure increases and i want to crush.
more, the fish and chips and the usual talk at the pubs, big bouldering posses and many boards to thrash yourself on are a delightful future.
enjoy it also for me please.
ps
we still have double digits temps, with first digit being 3.

Unknown said...

you're all cunts

Unknown said...

you too lore with your mediterranean climate.

bonjoy said...

Great nick at the con last night, good luck on DB.
Looking forward to checking this board out soon.

Doylo said...

I think you love Rubicon more than i love the orme!!!

Unknown said...

Impossible!

enjoy Swiss.

Adam Lincoln said...

Waddage for the Adam Beyer mix! Just need to find somwhere i can play it loud enough to train now....

Adam Lincoln said...

this is pretty banging too
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/fabric-22-adam-beyer-2005/38530b833b4f23ff26dbd690b4fc751bd53d2cc06929