Thursday 7 January 2010

The rightness of being wrong

I am once again sat at the kitchen table, working from home as every day this week so far. The stove is on, has been since 8am, and she is sat, laptop on knee on the sofa. Now I usually wfh two days a week anyway, but I dont think I would want to do too many more. I wouldnt for instance, want to be permanently based at home. For a start, you work harder because there are less distractions. Plus, you go a bit potty without human contact by the end of the day. The term cabin fever is appropriate here. Anyway, its good to have the option (or is it - if I didnt and I couldnt get in I would be sledging).
 
On the subject of sledging, the snow is really good sledge snow at the moment (technical ski terms are not in my vocabulary (having never been skiing)). Its good and deep, packed quite hard and suitable for going really fast. Perhaps a bit too fast. We went out to bingham park at about 20:00 last night and did a bit on a plastic sledge. I was quite scared - the brakes were on nearly all the way down the hill. Second and third runs were a bit bolder, but the sledge I had procured from the garden of the children in our road seemed to have other ideas and I kept veering violently towards trees and other such hard objects.
 
Made it to the wall yesterday afternoon. Main roads are fine, side roads are not. It was super cold last night, so it will have frozen the slush and made driving difficult. Certainly, coming home driving up oakbrook road was spicy (take a run up!). Which lead me to summising that if you drive with too much caution you lack momentum and things are actually more difficult and more dangerous rather than safer which is presumably what the cautious horses are aiming to achieve. I digress. So, the wall/board. Harry Pennells continues to astound with his new found powers. On the board there must now be few who can match him. Joe and Vics were around, Right on Dave and Char (wearing all the clothes he could find in the car, but creating quite a unique look), and a chap called Nick (?) who reckoned not to have climbed for five weeks but was well beastly if thats how long he had been off. I wish I could maintain that level after such a gap.
 
Lore commented yesterday about my changing the order of things, and whilst I totally agree in theory - in practice the new order worked well. You see, for me to try hard I have to climb well, and for me to climb well I have to suceed on things - success breeds success! We warmed up with no weight on, moved onto the board after about 40 mins, had an hour and a bit on the board, and then hardcore weight action for about 30 mins. Finished with a warm down. Now, when I am climbing with weight on, I am not using small holds (richie!), rather I am trying to statically climb steep problems on jugs.
 
Better do some work...

1 comment:

lore said...

grande dob!
mine was just a suggestion, just in case you wanted another opinion!
stick to what's good for you, that's fore sure important!