Wednesday 15 April 2009

The lime caller

I am honoured and I am humbled. I recieved a message from the caller of the lime himself Crabmaster Harris :

So Ben I return from 10h at the Jessops maternity hospital and i have a few things on my mind. when will shiv pop? will the air to the harris fortune be aboy or a girl? and more pressingly who in god's name will call the lime.

I consulted "Ye old lime callers guide" and it is indeed true that the lock lines (they're like lay lines but more powerful) between the Tor and "the caller" can be impaired by the iminent delivery of the son of the lime caller (unless said delivery is happening at the Tor itself).

So Dobbin this year as I will be unable to open the season by crabbing my way along Staminaband & Rooster booster I abdicate the 2009 responsibility to your goodself. I can't tell you when it's right but I leave you with a few thoughts that may help you in making the right call.
- the tor is king of the lime and quite frankly other lime does not count in the calling
- the grit should be truly a thing of the past season (bear in mind it's still pretty windy)
- don't be bullied by the keenness of youth for the call (only you will know)
- the bit just to the right of the pinches wall does not need to be 100% dry (otherwise the lime would only have been called 5 times in the last century!)
- try to climb like a legend on the day of the call (lest others questions your calling)
- let it be known publicly & in a big way it's lime time

May the Fawcet be with you.

There it is folks. For this year only (unless he has another baby...), a great responsibility rests on my shoulders. Rest assured I shall not shirk, nor bow to populist pressure - the lime will be called when my waters are a twitchin.

3 comments:

Fiend said...

Holy shit on a stick!

Stuart Littlefair said...

Did you have to pull Harris's sword from a cleft?

bonjoy said...

When do you get to handle the sacred horn of the calling which is blown to signal the season is open?