Thursday 15 March 2007

Trainer or a Climber?

Went to the board tonight - there were loads of people in. Jon Fulwood, JLS, James, Garry from the Works, Nige - all good, felt busy but psyched and keen. Seb and Joe Picalli arrive, followed soon after by James Pearson and Keith - amazing! a proper school renaissance. Codfinger feels bad and I'm tired after popping out for an hour at lunch time (to flail on the storm). Do some fun problems and feel like am ok considering have climbed once today, manage pego goes to albuquerque again and try too fluffy - think that one needs a bit more oompf! James makes a throwaway comment about my being a trainer not a climber. Unfortunately, my life does not revolve around climbing. I would love to be more of a climber but my circumstances don't permit me to do as much as I would like. I have a non climbing girlfriend, whom I love very much. I also have a demanding job an hours commute away - but these are my choices, they make me happy. But, because of them I can't invest as much time as others actually going climbing.

At the weekend I may get a three or four hour window in which I get to fit my weekends climbing. This means I have a decision to make. Do I drive for 30 minutes, check out a crag and take my chances? climb for 1.5 hrs and then drive back home or do I cut my losses, drive for 15 and get a workout? I would love to commit more to climbing, but without a change in personal circumstances thats not going to happen. And do you know what? I am happy with the way things are! I have my own goals and aspirations, they may not make me world class but I dont give a shit! I dont go climbing to be world class! I go climbing for me. It makes me happy and I love the social side of it.

I am a climber not a trainer. I train out of necessity. Given the choice I would rather be out climbing and when I get the chance and it wont eat into the time I have with my girlfriend, thats what I will do.

7 comments:

bonjoy said...

Arse! Just wrote a longish reply which failled to post and is now lost.
In brief. I doubt James meant it as a jibe to you. More probably an ironic reference to some discussion on UKB or a debate with Keith. That said 'throw away' comments can be well annoying, especially if they come from folk with vastly more accomodating circumstances who don't have to juggle ten thing to sneak in an hour climbing.
Soz if my goading re tickets and getting out on the grit more gets annoying. I only do it cos I think it'd be fun to have you out, not cos I think you're a hopeless indoor monkey who deserves chiding about what he does of a weekend.
You out tomorrow? ;)

dobbin said...

dammit! I just posted a comment and it didnt accept it. I hate the internet some days. its rubbish.

Ok, I said - you are a friend and I would fully expect goading from you as thats part of climbing that I like most. I didnt mean to imply I was particularly hurt by James comments, more that it made me think - how am I percieved? I am certainly guilty of going indoors a lot, but thats out of necessity, as mentioned previous. It would be great to be out more, but when all you have is a couple of hours then you will get more out of going to the wall for the time rather than questing round damp boulders!

Paul Bennett said...

This blogger can be absoloutely rubbish sometimes with that, ive taken to copying everything into the clipboard before posting just incase.
I wouldn't really worry to much about how your percieved, as long as you get on things that you want to try and get them done, I for one would rather train like crazy and be strong as hell and therefore tick something I want every time I do venture out rather than constantly climbing problems i'm not interested in or slabs because my skin is so sore!
I too have a none climbing girlfriend (however we both do have a lot of free time and she is very very easy going), and sometimes you have to make the call between going out or doing something that will make her happy. Its a choice that people make, and by the sounds of it in your case a one your very happy with and theres nowt wrong with that!
Oh and by the way your percieved as strong, a mate of mine who saw you a few years ago at a foundry comp commented on your strength last time he was down the works.

Unknown said...

you, how you're percieved? a total homo.
now if I was a trainer I'd be a nike woven footscape hideout ltd edition in brown and white ponyskin....

dobbin said...

Genius! If I was a trainer I would be a knackered north face approach shoe with a hole in the sole.

Paul - aw, fanks luv!

Unknown said...

yeah, he "commented on your strength" but we dont know if this was a positive comment. It may have been something along the lines of:
'Look at his strength....its less impressive than my deceased Aunts'

However, I doubt this was the case...
On the subject of strength, Has Bonjoy recently dispatched some 8A of Pearsons??? Come on you shy retiring type, spill the beans!

bonjoy said...

8a+ now you come to mention it ;).
River Of Life at Turning Stone Edge (near Eastwood). That rare and brilliant beast, a true roof problem on grit. No idea regards the grade, but I would recomend it to all those who enjoy the 50 degree board. Am keen to go over and try Jason's Roof at Crookrise now.

Have written a (probably annoyingly know-it-all) thing about getting out in mixed weather on the blog, sort of in reply to stuff on here, so won't repeat.