Saturday 23 June 2007

The long road back from obesity

Well, I have had a lovely rest week. The honey monster and I travelled to the italian island of Sardinia on friday the 15th and arrived back yesterday (friday the 22nd) to nottingham east midlands. We had a fiat punto hire car (dont buy one) and an amazing villa in the tres posh Porto Rotundo. I understand Sardines is the haunt of much of the haute couture fashionista types and we did see some of the pepperami at one of the ports one day. Automobile standard hardware is supplied by alfa romeo or porsche, pure yachts of size I cannot begin to justice to in words - multi multi millions!

Anyway, wasnt a climbing trip and as such no exercise took place. No exercise of any description! much drinking and eating and reading and having a nice relaxing time, and as a consequence I am now 11.5st. Before coming away I was 10.5st. This horrified me when I got on the scales at the board today.

Quick diary of the trip then:
Friday - arrive to alghero, collect hire car and barrel across island (its big - 140km from west to east) to villa - delighted. Its beautiful. Unpack and find a bar.
Saturday - nose around Porto Rotundo where we live and head up coast to Porto Cervo for a look around. Eat local - its expensive and not that good. Noone speaks english, or even understands when we point at things on menu!
Sunday - attempt to find local beach - fail but find one far away. Sit on it for a bit and go back to the villa to bask on own terrace - aaaah! peace! cook spag bol.
Monday - Drive to alghero in search of english speaking anyone! or at least people who will tolerate english speakers (wish had bought a phrase book!)
Tuesday - marinella beack all day. Lovely. Cook tea again (not spag bol!)
Wednesday - Drive south to cala luna. HM suggests the coast road which does not as its name suggests, afford one a view of the coast. Journey takes 3hrs and when we get there is shrouded in sea mist. Sack it back (on the motorway - takes 1.5 hrs!). Out for tea at lovely restaurant - la mangianotte. A wonderful meal, reasonably priced but beautiful food and an aging lothario of a waiter. Funny.
Thursday - Much time on terrace before eventually having a mooch around checking out restaurants for tea. Eventually settle on pomodoro (the tomato) which is ok if you have pizza (which she doesn't).
Friday - Bask in sun on terrace, head to airport at 1630. Home by 2330. (feels brilliant to be back in my car!)

So thats it. I have had a lovely time, but I have come back fat and weak. I know that if I put it on so fast I should be able to get rid of it fast too, but I hate being rubbish. Imagine my worst nightmare - going to the tor and being seen failing! head to board where fail to impress anyone and feel massive. Hope I can loose the flab fast!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dont stress dob. Weight fluctuates all the time and to be honest a lot of the emphasis we put on weight is psychological in my opinioin (up to a point of course!)
When you jump on the scales and are at an all time low, you feel like you will have an awesome session, and subsequnetly, you do. But if you could harness the positive outlook without getting on the scales, the effect would be the same.
Perhaps knowing you have porked out a bit will lower your expectations at the crag, and without any pressure, you might just climb better than before!
Ok, enough of the airy fairy claptrap, good to have you back wondermule, now stop eating pies and go for a run you fat git!