Monday 4 June 2007

Tepid Tor

Drinking (for all the fun that it entails) I can conclude, has an adverse affect on climbing performance. Friday night came and I ended up in the Rising Sun feeding my worrying real ale addiction (worrying because it makes you fat). During the night I had a wierdness turn when I went for a p155, and ultimately I woke feeling distinctly hung over. Alka Seltzer required. She had to be in Dukinfield for 1115 so I drove us over and then headed back to the tor, making it to the crag for 1200. A good crowd in attendance, but the main disappointment was the air temperature which was like bath water.
 
The ever present Stone was in situ on Mecca, Foley and Dylan about to leave, Juha (not norwegian national champ after all), JOHN COFIELD - for that is he, Jon Fullwood, Rotherham's brightest star - Dave Parry and tomboy traversing champ Rae (and scut, and some others I will have forgotten). Apparently Steve Mac had said it was a shit day and left early. Not only was it boiling hot, but it was actually quite wet. JF put a rope on PUTP and confirmed that it was too hot for small holds, I failed to do just about anything and had an epic getting through the stamina band start. Everyone went by 1400 so I had a couple of 'training' laps on Powerband (but not doing the last move, just getting there) and then sacked it. Back to Barton Grange garden center to pick up the Honey monster and then back to Sheff in time to meet our friend Helen with whom we were to sample the delights of the new curry shop thats nearly opposite our house (Its called Panahar).
 
Drunk again. Hungover on Sunday morning, cleaned the car, did the food shopping and bimbled around the house. Roasted a chicken for tea which is always a pleasant end to the weekend. This weeks climbing starts tonight with ring training. Wednesday I have a meeting in Slough. It finishes at 1500 so I hope to be Torwards by 1800. Thursday I will go to the works or something, and then I might climb on Friday at Leeds. Not going to climb saturday as she is going away on Sunday, and I will be delivering her to Ashton which is from where she sets off. Am thinking of continuing on to the cave of power.... Would you be keen? Sunday afternoon/evening in the cave? fish and chip supper in 'dudno then back....
 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm there.
obviously it will do nothing for my stamina, and i'm supposed to be going to ceuse, and i should be focusing on getting fit. but fuck it i'm keen for new places.

Unknown said...

Well, I was thinking only yesterday of heading to Wales for the weekend. Colette is off on a girly weekend to Alton Towers with work, to get drunk on Lambrini and talk haircuts, so I figured I might head off to Wales friday night and sleep over in the Mondeo and grab a weekends worth of climbing at a number of venues including the Cave, so would be cool to meet up there. Might get in touch with Wheeldon as he practically livesup there and has the numbers on everything.

Real humid again today, but desperate to climb out after a weekend sunning myself in Devon (surf was pretty good actually, but my shoulders are not!)might head to the Crag with no name late on this eve.

laters

lore said...

hey i would definitely like to pull in the cave and then get some fish and chips. you seem to be bound for good fun!!!
sadly its not very handy from italy...
Nibile.

Paul Bennett said...

I wouldn't worry too much about getting fit for ceuse foley, nothing can prepare you. As long as your there for more than a week you'll be fine.

Slap Holds! said...

I'm pretty psyched for all things TOR at the moment. So many things to try

Foley mentioned a trip to the cave this weekend. I've a free pass as Lucy is in Arco for a week.

Keen as Ben