Friday 1 June 2007

Unfamiliar wet brown rocks

She had to go to a charidee thing last night (but only for an hour) so I went for a walk up to the Plantpot. Dont think I have ever been there in June before! Anyway, could see from Burbage that it was going to be bed, and lordy lordy it was. Nice light though, and I didnt really want to climb anything, just fancied a bimble. Walked up to the edge for a change - doesnt Unfamiliar look good? :



Is it E7 or E8? which side of the arete do you climb? Felt quite nervous just walking round it and having a feel of the holds. I remember once helping someone down who had fallen off it and bust his ankle. Me and Joe Picalli as I remember it.

Aretes are great features, think this one is the best looking of them all :



What are they? one of them is a moffatt thing?



Waddage! anyway, a beautiful evening, really nice to walk about and have the place to myself. Honestly, it was so quiet - it was gorgeous, like cleansing the soul!



This blog has lost a reader! well, a regular reader at least. Jon Fullwood finished work yesterday and in a month (or so) sets off round Europe in a van with Fi. Jealous!

3 comments:

Stubbs said...

I assume you are joking about the aretes, but if not the one on the left climbed on the left is archangel, E3 5c, climbed on the right is Doug E4 5c (as modelled on front cover of new stanage guide by Johnny Brown). THe one on the right is Ulysses, the Moffat E6 6c.

Stubbs

dobbin said...

I wasnt joking! I once spotted Simon (???) on Ulysses with Rupert. I am not massive and Rupert is nearly a dwarf. As this simon dude started wobbling near the top we exchanged a glance that said it all. Fucking terrifying.

I dont know my grit routes at all. I dont own a guidebook to the gritstone and I havent ever really been that interested to be honest!

Stubbs said...

Fair enough, I often forget that other people don't spend some of their spare time reading guidebooks! Ulysses is approaching highball boulder problem statua s now anyway, get it on your ticklist ;-)