Friday 17 October 2008

I love you Dave

Dave waits for no man... Dave wont stand for lateness..... Thoughts rushing through my mind waiting to be picked up. But in the end, Dave wasn't even there! I'd babbled excitedly to my friends, who scrambled into their cars from opposite ends of the country and raced to Raven Tor, all in the hope of seeing an ascent of Hubble. I vowed that if Dave did Hubble I would nosh him off in the car park. My knees stayed clean and Dave stayed in bed. Well, he might have done, I don't know. Every car that was heard on the lane my heart leapt - is it Dave? but it wasn't.
 
Good nic torside last night! phewweeee no excuses there. Attendees on arrival were Zippy belaying Matt (no sirname, sorry) on Chimes, and Steve Mac and Rab on indecent direct and what looked like Mecca extn. Oh, and a lone man swearing at the Powerband. Warmed up and I was desperate to show off in front of the sweary man so we headed down there to do Kristian's direct on Wild in Me. I eventually did it - its good. At least 8c. We go back up to the roof of Ben, and I climb out to the headwall (the undercut hard way) but haven't breathed in minutes and am pumped. With my hand on the penultimate hold I wilt. Dylan and Keith busy themselves with moves, sequences, foot changes etc, I eat flapjack and wait. Still no Dave Graham. Oh well, no reason to save any beans - better have another go on BR. This time I get my hand to the finishing jug but absolutely cannot match. I spend what feels like a minute with my left on the jug, trying to find a position I can flick my right hand to the jug comfortably, but all I actually do is get more pumped. Some would give me that, but I'm not taking it. Easy to be virtuous when you've done things before.
 
Keith and I kit up for Revelations and Hubble. Yes, if Dave isnt going to put in an appearance then responsibility falls to Keith. I go on Rev and get nowhere. Nacho and Vicky turn up, Nacho gives me Jon's foot beta, but its about 9d and I can't do it. Keith goes to warm up for the flash on Hubble and I do a quick powerband lap. Well, a lap of getting to the end and then stepping off without trying. Back to Hubble. The Shirehorse steps up and pulls on to the first overlap, but there arent actually any grips and we cant see how you get to the blocky pinch. He pulls up and has a bit of a work of the next bit - the crux photogenic bit. It looks bloody desperate. And, this guy is not weak. The famous right hand crimp causes an exclamation as its so wank. Perhaps a cellar model is required! A minor stripping the route epic follows and then a drive home.
 
Conditions and weather bode well for the weekend. Its cold and bright. I hope the Rubicon lake goes down a bit, as I think I have talked Char and Dylan into coming on Zeke with me.

3 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

I thought you might be interested that uber wad spent yesterday on the Ace in terrible conditions and fell with his hands over the jug.

Paul Bennett said...

looks like Scott did it today!

lore said...

he's on line right now adding the tick on 8a...
i love him!!!
;-)