Tuesday 7 October 2008

Queens crag itis

So, when I last wrote everything was allright. I was lying on a sofa watching telly and excited about the prospect of going to Queens crag the next day. Although, with hindsight, I think I was starting to feel a bit more achey and tired then than I should have done by rights. By tea time I was starting to be very gaseous and getting stomach cramps, which evolved into the shits through the night - bad but made worse by the toilet block being a walk away, and requiring one to be dressed. Anyway, I felt rubbish. Sunday started out fine. Not a cloud to be seen and really cold. Got some immodium and felt pretty normal again. We drove to Queens :


and, as you can see, it was gorgeous. Everything felt different from last time, it felt closer, although I suppose a lot of that is knowing where you are headed, but, i think I must have been iller than I thought last time.


I managed to bring them to the edge atop queen kong, which is the most impressive thing there, and adds to the wow factor on arrival. We checked out some other stuff but started the day on the power is on block just down from the edge. Again, here highlighting just how bad I must have been then - this felt steady away. I got to the crimp before the second boulder but the holds up there were wet and the easy top bit was impossible.

We moved to Worldline. I romp along it and again - it all feels easy. Ed and Dylan are clearly nervous about the flash but I try to impart as much beta as possible and ensure all the holds are clean. Ed dispatches :


Dylan also flashes the problem and concious of time we move beneath queen kong. I didnt even try it last time, this time between us we do fairly well working a sequence but noone completes the deal.

I'll hurry up typing now as I feel sick. We quest along the edge to the Magician's nephew, which I will remind the forgetful reader, I actually failed on last time I was here. Theres a committing move I wouldnt commit to, but actually its pretty steady. We all romp up it and then head back out to the car.


at which point I begin to feel really sick. I hold it all back until getting home and then just crash. Feeling utterly utterly rubbish. Took yesterday and today off work.

Full photoset here

3 comments:

Fiend said...

Poor Dob!! Get well soon dude.

How hard is Magician's Nephew?? Looks well nice.

Also, where / what price is that bunkhouse?? Needing more accomodation options up there now there's only two sodding campsites in the whole county and it's getting too cold for that shit anyway...

Unknown said...

6B ish I think. Its a lot higher than it looks in the pic although the descent is probably the more worrying bit. Fantastic though as was the rest of the crag.

Hope you gain some solidity to your delicate constitution Dob. Can't have been the food, I have been firm-to-blocked since returning!

Unknown said...

scratch that last comment. I'm ill too!