Tuesday 4 November 2008

How to look good belaying

No board last night as Dylan was otherwise involved. Monday's energy levels are always difficult. I should have learnt some basic rules by now, but still I make mistakes. Always consume some sort of oat based snack before climbing. Always arrive, have said oaty goodness and a coffee, then crush. Because I thought I would get something at the Foundry, I forgot I didnt have any money, so had to cadge a coffee off Neil, and then borrow money from Kerry later on for a flapjack.

Started strong and felt good, but wilted quickly. Tried to campus, am so appalling at this I was quite glad to be on my own. The Foundry board is good. I just need to get into it. If I was making it again, I would put less holds on it, make it longer and about 5 (or 10) degrees steeper. Then wild horses wouldnt keep me away.


Climbers and style have never been close bedfellows, although with some of the new ranges coming out from Ben Moon and from E9 things are getting better. Climbers are apparently fascinated by deeply hideous but functional outdoor wear, preferring the reassurance of triple ply goretex to keep them safe should they be forced to bivouac on the way to the pub. I suppose its a badge isnt it - 'look at me, I'm an extreme sports dude'.Troll pattern pants - The worst of the lot :





I havent seen anyone dare to front such an item in many a year. I used to have some of these. Horrible, horrible fashion disaster. I must ask my mum if she has any pictures. Oh yes kind reader, for I am guilty too. I'm afraid I have an arcteryx fetish that will never be satisfied, and I seriously doubt whether my proshell alpha SL will ever be put to the test but its a nice piece and I love it. Double standards.

4 comments:

Jasper said...

Is that Mike Lea?

Unknown said...

"If I was making it again, I would put less holds on it, make it longer and about 5 (or 10) degrees steeper."
so like the school board? think one of the best things about that board was the fact you could cut loose without your feet hitting the bloody floor!

Fiend said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiend said...

Helen says: "Have you seen Dob's blog taking the mickey out of that guy's trousers. Ooooh he's such a bitch!"

So, just for you Dob: more trousers

Anyway I hope Arcteryx are renewing your sponsorship now you've done Zeke...:P