Thursday 22 January 2009

Mossacrushedity

I dont trust the weather forecast past 2 days, but within a 2 day window its pretty much on the money. The metoffice said that it would rain overnight, and lo - it has. No posts so far this week as I havent done anything worth posting about. Yesterday however, i managed to get out in the afternoon (yay for no overtime and flexible working!). As you will know, my thoughts have been revolving around Grindleford, and for once not the cafe.

Its a lovely feeling having some time to yourself and being able to think "hmm, where shall I go?". Knew Dylan would want to go back on Western Eyes (I'm just not that bothered I dont think), keep wondering about west side story, Ed Brown was doing back to do Black Car Burning (he did it!) and Pritch has been on the Joker. And in spite of all of that Rae saying that Rubicon was in condition kept popping back to the front. Spoke to Ed in the morning and he made an important point - dont go back somewhere you have done everything with the sole intention of showing off at the cost of not doing something new. Success breeds success said I, but I knew that if I went to Rubbercon and crushed everything I wouldnt have the beans to do Mossatrocity. Had I learnt nothing from Sensei Mosely?

And so I set the channel on Grindleford, took the batteries out of the remote control and got involved. First go, felt all over it - strong, in control, beans to spare for the end, and yet plop! I'm back on the ground having slipped off the top. 4 minutes later and I've changed the camera angle and set off again. I dont feel as composed, in the back of my mind I wonder if this is going to become another siege nemesis, but its a fleeting thought and I'm humping my way to within striking distance of glory. Current wisdom on the top is to take the left heel off and paste the toe on the front of the roof before windmill slapping the top with the right. Its a real sapper as you must be taking a lot of weight with that heel, and you're so tantalisingly close when you have to do it - I wonder if you can go with the left? In order to do so, the right hand has to be a bit further back, and on a seam which allows just a bit more udge to get even closer, and bam I slap the top with my left - oh shit! its not properly on! I have to lay one on with my other hand and even then I think I'm off, but with both hands I can shuffle a bit of the surface of my palm onto the hold and mantle (sans style) to glory. What an epic. If you watch the video, marvel at the total lack of grace with which I top out.


Mossatrocity from dobbin on Vimeo.

I reward myself with a cup of tea and a flapjack from the station cafe (which tastes lovely) whilst pondering what to do next. On one hand, I could go to Rubicon, however, the remote control has no batteries and I am dialled into the project channel. The Joker it is. On arrival my focus is unwavering. There are teams beneath the breadline and somewhere else, but its straight to the joker for me. Delightfully this looks like it could be on. I started off being three inches short of the top, and finished up an inch or so over. But where is the good bit of the damn hold? Anyway, I'm psyched, but its raining so I shall have to wait.

8 comments:

simon said...

good top out ;)

good effort tho :)

Fiend said...

Dobbatrocity!

P.S. What he said ^^^

Paul Bennett said...

Dob egg! I was keen to get out on this!!!

Good effort, the top out is marginally smoother than the first ascent!

dobbin said...

If you peer closely at my arse (dont tell me you havent already been doing), you will notice I appear to have soiled myself. Or to have sweaty crack. I can assure interested parties, this is not the case and that I must have sat in some dirt. Honest.

Anyway, thanks for your messages of support. After I did it, I actually went back on it to try and do it smoother so i would look like hot stuff on the interweb. But I fell off.

richdraws@hotmail.com said...

Entertaining! Think I will go and have a crack at this on Saturday morn. Were you by yourself, if so was it OK without a spot?

dobbin said...

Yeah, I was alone, but its fine. Landing is almost flat, and I fell off the top at least twice and am not dead. Get to it!

bonjoy said...

Nice one munce-dog!
Everyone I've seen seems to climb this differently. I did the start very different and slapped the top with the other hand, left to on smear on front of block.

Jasper said...

I thought the stained pants were in tribute to Jerry.