Tuesday 6 January 2009

Pessimistic realism

Another good post from Keith on his blog this morning. He talks about optimism, pessimism and realism, claiming he is a realist yet stating "the glass only contains half it’s total volume" which I think makes him a pessimistic realist! ;-) Anyway, I am being pedantic, the meaning I am taking from another well considered and written post from the shirehorse, is that even for the most focussed amongst us failure on reference problems is hard to swallow and can lead to what I shall describe as Foleyitis.
 
This is a common condition where failure to do a move or problem you think you should be able to do leads to diminishing rest time and worsening further attempts. This debilitating mental sickness was first observed in Britain's best bum doctor up at that palace of power that was the School. James would fail on something he had previously done and rather than rest up properly and try again, he would exclaim and immeadiately try the stopper move. Of course, he hadn't rested enough, didnt do it, and his frustration was deepened.
 
To overcome the disease one must achieve enlightenment. Allow your ego to die and chalk your failure to experience. Go back a stage, get some mileage in - the session could still recover, certainly don't push on a level until you have worked through it.
 
Talking to Dan Walker last night, I am massively psyched to go up to Low Rider. My focus is on the fig at the moment, but I think that could be the next one....

5 comments:

Slap Holds! said...

LOOK INTO MY EYES

THE EYES

THE EYES

THE EYES

WESTERN EYES

bonjoy said...

Yeah, get yourself on the Rider, it's well up your street. That said it will be totally baltic up there at the mo. Best saved for warmer weather (I did it in late April). Has Dan W done it?

dobbin said...

Ah I see. Dan hasnt been on it yet either. i was half waiting for dave mason to get back from swizzy, but dan was keen for this weekend.

Western eyes is good, but didnt char nearly die on saturday? someone mentioned it at the foundry...

Slap Holds! said...

Char ripped a finger on that half problem to the left. He did take a weird tumble off the eye and was fine. If I can walk away then you should be fine with your cat like reactions.

I'm keen for lowrider too as the first time I tried it was in summer and the midges were too much. I also couldn't do the top move, but could get out to the end (I think)

bonjoy said...

Let me know if any of you do head up there and i'll come along and shout beta at you.