Thursday 15 January 2009

Poached Eggs

I'd found a lofty perch with a window in the tree canopy and I could see an impressive vista of a beautiful alpine valley. Shreds of low cloud scudded along at eye level and I felt at peace. At peace was not where I needed to be however. I needed to be on it. I was sat beneath Octopussy at Magic Wood. Nige had been treated to my continual flailing for at least an hour and had scuttled off to feed on the success of others. I emailed Tim on my BlackBerry and tried to summon the force to send. The silence was broken by the sound of someone approaching. I shook myself from my catatonic reverie and peered off the ledge into the gloom - Pete Hurley. Ah good, perhaps this will be the psyche I need... Pete yomped up the E17 death path and stopped to say hello. He had one leg up on a boulder, and all I could see was a massive rent in the crotch of his trousers. Delightfully he had boxer shorts on, but I felt only seconds away from being treated to a furry egg. Quickly I dismissed Pete and tried to banish the vision by grinding more sheets of skin off on Octopussy.
 
Dylan and I popped to Burbage for an hour yesterday lunchtime, and we bumped into Ed, Dan and Ricardo at the Bridge. As Ricardo tried to do a problem Dan kept saying he would banish him back to the car to change his trousers, and I couldnt see why - but then the nightmare returned. Ricardo's pants were in tatters. I dont know whether Dan did make him change because I hot footed it over to Western Eyes to avoid the spectacle.
 
Got on a bit better with Western Eyes yesterday. I dont think I can make (or have made) that instep cam thing work yet, as with my right foot just pasted on the wall I could get to the hold before the top, and then even the top hold - but its rubbish that top hold, certainly not the jug you were hoping for, but then, this is supposed to be 7c+, and considering the effort you have to put in to even get 7c these days, I suppose it should be quite hard. Anyway, I feel some considerable distance away from being able to do it, but, on the positive side its not a case of picking my battles, this isnt something I chose, its something that everyone seems to be involved with at the moment, and I am carried with the flow. So, if I did do it, I would be psyched because its not some crimpy wall thing.
 
Mossatrocity is still at the forefront of my intentions. It got me thinking why I was so keen for that one and not Western Eyes, and the reason is because its easier so I think I can do it quite quickly, and thats what I want - quick ticks. Or at least, I can see myself doing it - with stuff like Western eyes, it feels so out of my comfort zone that I dont completely believe I can, and I dont want it enough to make myself try.
 
Finally, just a quick note to mention the works board. I went after it had been reset and thought it was all evil brick hard. Got shown some problems last night and got quite excited - there are some good hard ones there. If I was making it again i would make it steeper, but still....

No comments: