Tuesday 8 September 2009

Green Room Sloth

Although dry on saturday morning, there was rain about, and clearly, the rocks had seen some action through the night. Things felt damp and scrittly, although a fair breeze whipping past High Neb certainly suggested conditions might have been better than they were. I was appalling. The wife and I headed out at breakfast time to find Beauty and the Beast, and to do the Green Room Slap. We found Beauty and the Beast and failed on both. Beauty is about 8c. I did a move on the Beast, but it was the very easy first move, then I fell off. I am blaming conditions for my complete and total failure - after all it cannot just be that I am crap.
 
In the distance we could see a massive rain cloud over Win Hill. As it moved in our direction the grey morning yielded drizzle, and with an rapidly bottoming psyche we scuttled back down the hill to the car. Popped her home and continued on to the works to campus for an hour.
 
The one success from the morning was my new Moon Saturn pad - brilliant. Firstly, the design - it makes so much sense to have the dirt side on the inside when you carry it. And, because of the flap at the bottom, you can stuff it with your stuff and its all nice and safe. Having spent years slogging up hills with two pads on and a rucksac on the front, this is a big improvement. Carry straps feel good and comfy and the foam is firm too - I am happy. Will be interesting to see how it pans out now that its bouldering season.
 
On the subject of which, its time to get my teeth back into something, ready for winter. Cave season is imminent, I have Trigger Cut to finish, Broken heart to do and I think that's probably enough goals for a crag three hours from home. I feel excited about the grit, Lowrider time is now and onwards, there's the ace, but thats a big ask - and I think I need to get dedicated if I am to get close. Would really like to do Full Power, but you need it to be much colder. Looking through Roy's list, the other stand out ambitions are Westside story, the Sphinx (i know, i know), Brutal Arete and the Silk sitter.
 
Went to the works again last night, where I felt almost to be moving well - even managing to get to the top of the motherboard... By the end of the session my fingers felt like they were creaking a bit - but this is the shock load of returning from a break, and to be expected. Ned, Dave and Lee all there to chat to, and later on Toby and Sam muddling around whilst I finish myself off (!). Sam looks super ripped at the moment.
 
So, I will climb again tomorrow - weather looks bright, and perhaps a bit hot, so I know not where I will go, just that I will. Thursday, Friday off and resting for the County at the weekend. Tried to recruit Char last night, and he might yet come. Jim still unsure.

2 comments:

Adam Long said...

Can we see this list?

Silk sit is utter log - cross it off. I'm appalled a 'man' like yourself can be known around Sheffield as a boulderer, and yet not have climbed WSS. This country etc!

lucy lu said...

I don't think your on the 'things to do in the Peak' list Adam

Think yourself lucky