Thursday 3 September 2009

I fought the board and the board won

Returning to climbing is always difficult. One strives to appear effortless in ones exertions but instead huffs and puffs, turning puce on all but the easiest routes. The trick is in recognising ones ineptitude and checking lofty aspirations. Modesty leads to success, a feeling of accomplishment - a reminder of why you liked it. It should only take a bit of coaxing before you can start to obsess about the board again. The weather appears to agree that I could use some time indoors.
 
Don't ever stop all you training obsessives. As soon as you do your power plug is pulled, your fast twitch fibres drain out and you are left flailing beneath problems you could/should have done. Part of loving the game is loving yourself. The feeling of moving well - being 'on it, leads to feeling good - climbing better - feeling good about yourself.
 
I know I have had three weeks off (more or less) but it feels like the current non performance is a deeper trough. I have to admit though, it was warm at the wall last night, warm and humid. My hands went red, it hurt to pull - and I dont know about you, but i struggle to find the motivation to suffer on through skin pain, so I stopped.
 
Joe and Vics will be in Squamish with Anne and Tim. Follicle and I continue to plot our County raid, Dylog and Jimlog may now be on board. Next installment - Saturday morning club. I actually am really looking forwards to the grit. If weather is ok, I might go and try the Green Room slap. Ed says its not super conditions dependant, and I have never seen it. Otherwise it will be indoors action.

3 comments:

Stuart Littlefair said...

Don't let it beat you Dob-la.

Every year I have a couple of lay-offs due to work trips that last 3 wks to a month. Getting back into it is a total nightmare! Patience, and a willingness to accept your new level without getting frustrated is the key.

I find two weeks is normally enough to get back on my game...

Unknown said...

whilst sat in traffic this morning i pondered this. we've been fannying about for the last 2 months. get back on the board. if your skin hurts and you've only been climbing for 40mins or something then do some pull ups/core/basic strength stuff. money in the bank. this weather is fucking SHIT!

Ghostface said...

In the same place hombre. It's nigh on impossible to walk away from any climbing/training session without consideration of your performance but when returning back to action, I think just strap into your cans, let the techno pound and don't think, just be.