Saturday 3 February 2007

Incompetent and sore

Last climbing day in Switzerland today. Another scorcher, 14 degrees when we got to the car. Found a cool website at http://wap.translate.ru/default.asp?cp=lat&dir=eg which works on a mobile phone (or blackberry) and managed to write down the German for : our flight is tomorrow, and can we stay another night. All worrying was unnecessary and it was fine for us to stay.

Drove up to cresciano and found a parking space (only one or two cars all week, then today about 50!), left down jacket and all that in the car, it was boiling and I couldn't see myself needing it. Wish I could say I was freezing later on but I wasn't. Walked to hannibal lecter and did some warm up bimbling. Chucked the pads in to the nice cold cave and sat in there to get my body to cool down. Put the cheating hook shoes on and after a bit of reacquaintence got to the last holds... Man these are sharp! When your fingers are wet to the touch as they're weeping there really is no point trying friction problems! Neither of us could really summon up the energy to have a serious go, although I steeled myself and thought like sharma and got to the top, but felt like I was slipping on the holds all the time. When in a cave with a dodgy landing, its doesn't inspire confidence, especially with a broken body! So, sat in the sun for a bit and took james to see dreamtime. Well hot on the holds. Wandered back to stinky Pete, so scary! So high! Did some fun easy problems and a cool slab thing and then just sat in the sun until it went behind the mountains. In previous years this meant jumper, long johns and down jacket we're all deployed, only removed to attempt something. Had only t shirt on up till now and still only had to put my thermal on now. Did a bit more, until it became painful to even pull on a hold, and then walked down to the car. Tail between legs a bit, but know that if it had been cooler and I had better skin then it could all have been so different.

I've had a good trip, I have climbed ok, my body feels like its worked hard, but could give more. I feel like I have been frustrated by bad skin rather than weakness this time, and whilst frustrating, its good to know that at least the training seems to be working. It would have been really nice to come home having done something new that I was proud of, but as tc says :

"Don't get disillusioned, this is what bouldering is about - the mental and physical battle. Sounds like this problem is perfect for you as you're now getting into the realms of the mental but you're so close. That's what makes bouldering so special - the whole rollercoaster thing of one minute thinking your on, the next thinking it's not going to happen. Enjoy the process and enjoy the moment. "

(makes me think of him as John Allen at millstone in stone monkey) and I have enjoyed the process, I've certainly learnt from it and resolve to come back and get it finished.

Ok, going to sleep now. Travel home tomorrow.

No comments: