Friday 25 May 2007

Hot hands

I felt tired after Wednesday nights exertions at the Tor and hadn't really recovered by Thursday lunchtime. I think when its hot you have to try much harder. You feel more tired from doing the same moves and the holds feel worse. Additionally, my skin goes soft when its hot and rolls off small holds. This is what stopped me on Yorkshire 8B at WCJ Cornice last year. My feet were hot and swollen, making my boots hurt (and of course, because its hotter, the shoe is softer and that rolls off a small edge too) and I couldnt make the holds work. I think thats what I shall claim for my inability on SB on Wednesday, its not that I can't do it - honest!!!
 
So anyway, I rolled up at the works at lunchtime and did some easy problems that felt very hard. Bought some hand ruining superchalk (does anyone else suffer massively if they use superchalk? it absolutely nails my skin. So much that I now make a hybrid supermoonchalkmegamix from moon chalk and superchalk - about 60(moon)% 40(super)%) but the oppressive heat made it hard to operate even with artificial drying aids. Opened all the windows and got the fans on but it was hideous. Felt knackered and rubbish. Did some work and eventually admitted defeat about 1430.
 
Perc was rambling on about their being some horrific video on UKB that I should moderate. Its a video of someone having the Paul B accident off Helicopter at Font. Its hideous. I felt quite sickened after seeing it and started thinking how grim to be so injured and out for so long. Apparently, the mates of the guy in the video were so shaken that they all froze and left it to this scottish girl to sort. She dealt with it and looked after the dude until the ambulance arrived then promptly fainted and woke up in a pool of sick. Good effort (seriously) to her for keeping it down during the trauma - being sick after the event is fine and completely understandable, being sick with the casualty would be baaaad karma. When I went on a first aid course thats one of the things they tell you - keep the casualty calm - they are going into shock (deep shock with such a horrific break) and they don't need you blethering on about how bad it is/looks. Nasty stuff. Why do people want to watch such filth? had to take my mind off it by watching TC do laps on Superman2. Thats kinda filthy too mind. I like that filth though.
 
Anyway, out tomorrow, not decided where yet. Depends if Ed will be joining me....
 
 

4 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

I found that I can only really get away with using Metolius Superchalk, something to do with my hands sweating profusely when I climb, it does however become a bit of a pain when your recovering from a split as you simply can't keep it moist and therfore it re-tears too easily.
Nat headed over to the works on wed afternoon, it was roasting and some of the low down massive green holds were feeling absoloutely horrendous.

Unknown said...

Looks like we are off to Manchester so no climbing tomorrow (day time) for me. Might be able to get a bit in when we get back in the evening whilst mum watches Joseph/Greece/Casualty/etc....

Should be cooling down in the next day or so. Right off to Derwent resevoir for a ramble.

Unknown said...

i feel your pain. my skin has been destroyed! was tres hot at the works. not sure if i can cope going aagain in the heat. will campus at the foundry in future.
saw spoon, and lisa rands.

Unknown said...

so ben show the vid of tc on supermn2.
worse would be being sick on the limb.
or fainting onto the limb.
best of all remember ABC, and without being in hospital there's not my you can do except try and aply pressure. and try not to move them. especially they're neck.