Tuesday 8 May 2007

Weekend briefs

Not much to report in climbing terms from the weekend past. Saturday went to Rubicon and That-place-of-which-we-must-not-speak and didn't climb well. Just didn't feel very on it - wonder if this is because of having completed all the summers goals already!?! not sure this is the case as I still have Tsunami, the Hulk, Zeke and The free monster to do. Certainly feels like I have been really pushing for the last two weeks or so, and almost think I perhaps feel a bit deflated in their wake.

Writing the above I dont think thats the case - its not like I've climbed 9a or something! I was focussed on the goals I had set and now I have acheived them. I just need to get psyched for something else - thats all. Think that thing could be the Hulk, but I kinda feel like I should be shifting my focus to routes now.

Sometimes, in a session if you have a shit go on something you can mentally write off the rest of the session, thinking yourself to be shit and that you aren't pulling on that day, when that may not be the case. The air temps at Rubicon were warm so the moves on the low left start were hard and I made a meal of it, leading me to thinking I must be having a bad day and not to bother. Additionally, you cant always be at your best, but its hard not to compare with previous performances. I think that comes from the school mentality - you do the same problems as a warm up on each visit and those problems gauge how well you are climbing on that day.

Anyway, went to Leeds on the Saturday night to see my sister and Fiance, back home via harrogate on Sunday and then bimbled around the house until Monday evening when I went to the Works for a bit of volume.

2 comments:

bonjoy said...

Peaks and troughs yoot, what can you do? Progress is always two steps forward one step back at best. You're bound to get a bit of a dip after what must be an all time peak.
Damn right, never write a session off on the strength of a poor warm up. I often end up doing my best stuff after feeling awful on the warm up. Some days you just need longer to get going than others. Yesterday for example I had to take on the draws warming up on a 7a+/7b and then struggled to do it clean on a TR afterward. An hour later I bagged Grooved Arete (see how I cunningly slipped that in) on the first redpoint of the day! I just think the enormous Cumberland ring in a roll I had for breakfast took some time to work it's way to the arms.
BTW what nights you crimping this week?

dobbin said...

hur hur hur! Cumberland ring indeed!

This week - wednesday night, thursday aft probably train, got to be back early doors (rubbish)