Friday 12 October 2007

8A - The Trophy Grade....

Well it is isnt it? Went to the works yesterday and bumped into a friend from leeds who suggested I might be grade obsessed. I'm a product of my environment - influenced (perhaps overly) by my peers, some of whom are also grade obsessed. I feel like I massively underachieve at climbing, attaching a number to something makes it tangible - it gives me something to aim for. I think I was more grade obsessed before actually acheiving something I thought worthy. Feel like I need something to show for my training efforts, and thats why I've got this (perhaps) slightly unhealthy obsession.

Anyway, the friend from Leeds (well, ex from Leeds) is a bold soloist. He climbs things because they make him happy rather than to achieve a defined standard, and I think I do too - to an extent! I love to climb easier things, but I wouldnt change my focus to be completely easy things rather than trying hard.

The works now has its new steelwork in place behind the comp wall, and its been completely reset (the comp wall has). I love the style of climbing - find it really enjoyable, BUT - I find it hard. I'm a basic boy, with basic climbing skills. I love climbing, so I like trying the tech wierdness at the works but am not in my element - which is no bad thing - work your weaknesses and all that.

Its positively balmy in Sheffield at the moment. 15 degrees at 0630 this morning. When will it cool down!?! Not climbing this weekend.

1 comment:

lore said...

i think every climber who wants to improve and get past previous limits is grade obsessed. it's what makes us bear the boredom of the training and the frustration of failure.
and, for historical reasons, no grade has the fascination, the importance and the appeal of 8a.
Nib.