Tuesday 2 October 2007

The blog bites back

It was only a matter of time. When I started this blog I promised myself I wouldn't use it to bitch about people, but I like a good bitch, and occasionally it gets the better of me. Also, this blog is no longer anonymous - although its never been hidden, its never been publicised either, and I am constantly suprised at the people that read it. Ages ago I got on a rant about that mate of rmans with the massive guns, and in it I said that he would never climb 8a. Well, I got talking to him at the works this evening, and he pulled me up on it, which made for an awkward moment. He was very magnanamous and brushed it off like he wasn't bothered, but I would be hurt if someone commented something like that about me. So, sorry - kook? Is that what you said you were called? The thing is, or rather was, that I wrote that comment after I saw you climbing something at the wall and you appeared to be failing on a problem you were undoubtedly strong enough to do - seemingly because of poor technique. But, making flippant statements such as that based on a single observation is unfair and unnecessarily hurtful. I think also, that the question when raised in such an objective way as - 'i want to climb 8a' suggests that the enjoyment has been surpassed in favour of achieving a standard, and that's a shame, but I also think that anyone who says they aren't at least partly motivated by grades is lying. Whether your competitiveness is with yourself or people you climb with, grade chasing draws you in, as its a means by which achievement can be measured - how good am I? Just don't get too hung up on the numbers.

Other stuff, there's a meeting where we will likely tell the council that we don't want to take on the management of the heeley bank road site. As the building is a fire death trap this means our notice will likely be served and we will be evicted sooner rather than later. Nothing seems to be moving on the finding a new home front either. I have the reins for the bank account and can now see who is up to date, and who hasn't paid. Ill be phoning round the non payers soon.

Masonic dave is back from europe. Sounds like he had a good trip. He reckons footless climbing is better than campussing for training. Apparently this has come from gaz (dave has just joined the team), looking at the facts gaz has suddenly got really good, so if this is what he is recommending then its worth a punt? Mention this to paul and he cites tyler landman as doing the same. So, one of them climbs 8b, the other 8c and they both recommend footless climbing? Hmm. If I suddenly turn into a wad you will know why.

There's a new richie mix on the music thread of ukb, not listened to it yet, and a miss kittin mix. Again, downloaded but not listened. Still having something of an ivan smagghe month. His bugged out mix from 2004 is good, and he is on fabric 32. Not listened all the way through yet though.

6 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

from what I hear he isn't the only persons feelings that may have been hurt by this blog... Someone lost sleep over it!

Slap Holds! said...

fuck em all

dobbin said...

someone lost sleep over it? Blimey. I cant remember writing anything that bad, but then - I couldnt really remember writing that about him. Until he mentioned it....

who do you mean?

Gasper said...

If you like Ivan Smagghe work i highly recomend to find out some of his albums (which are for my opinion even better than his live mixes) Try: How to kill the DJ pt1.; Suck my deck; Death disco.

Stubbs said...

Maybe it's time for your blog to go private, invite only, then only your friends can read it and you can bitch as much as you want! It would give me one less site to look at and I might get some more work done!

pascal said...

Dobbin, you are weak, you don't train hard enough, your technique is sub par, and YOU WILL NEVER CLIMB 8B! Now you know what it feels like to be on the receiving end (ooh err).

Personally, failure is the greatest motivation to improve so you can slag me off all you want in your blog and it will only make me stronger.