Tuesday 16 October 2007

Committed to resting

Given that the honey monster has been away at least part of the last two weekends I was quite happy not to climb this weekend. Also, as she has been working late a couple of nights in the week (and I have therefore been climbing), I felt like I needed a rest. So, nothing of a climbing nature to report from this weekend. Well, not much. Didnt look like I missed much in weather terms, a low cloud high moisture wetness hung over the Peak district. Apparently even Raven Tor was rubbish. Bumped into Andy Banks and Dave Parry in Tescos on the Sunday, they made it to Rubicon in the end I think they said it was ok. Nic rang whilst in Tescos and explained that at the meeting with the other First circle users apparently there is some appetite to take on the management of the building, so it looks like we might be staying put after all. Nige, Rob Smith - those who have paid their £150 - I will pay that back this week. I plan to chase the other non-payers with my new found access to the bank account. Most amusingly, militant 'kick the non-payers out' supporter Keith has actually yet to pay his normal subs, let alone anything else!

Dylan sent me a message on sunday asking if I was going to this film thing. I had completely forgotten. He was referring to the Committed film premiere. To be honest, I wasnt that bothered and had no intention of going. I was quite keen to go to the rising sun for one, but the usual crowd were heading to this premiere thing (seems a bit false to refer to it as a premiere - although thats what it was, the image the term suggests is rather different), then Lee turned up and I sort of ended up going. Shiv couldnt make it, so Andy persuaded me to be her for the night. My goodness - what stamina he has. Anyway, back to the film - quite a few in, three screens up by the comp wall, and either mats or hard wooden chairs to sit upon. You know what time I get up to get to work, so I was counting the seconds until it started, trying to guess when I could be tucked up in bed, and although a bit of dilly dallying took place, the production team were soon in front delivering their pitch. Bless them - they were nervous, and the pitch was stilted. Climbing films sell themselves, which is a good job! Should really have written this yesterday, as I cant actually remember how it started. A pleasant animation to begin then er... some climbing.

So, impressions? Well filmed - Nice camerawork. Editing not as tight as Set in Stone, not as polished either - they seem to have released a bunch of films very quickly, so perhaps they aren't spending as long on them as they did Set in stone. Seems to have a strong Dave Macleod focus (who doesnt speak how I imagined he would), but I suppose thats because he is one of the people getting 'committed' on hard trad routes. The requiem thing in dumbarton looks dead hard. He certainly seems to be having to try on the top section. Adam thought that James trounced him on Trauma - which looks amazing too. A statement from the dawes - 'I'm not sure its sensible for people to be trying these routes', which will be interpreted by some as meaning Johnny thinks they are scary, when I think he means in the style they are achieved. I liked the footage of some guys forging a new route on a loose cliff, the belay wont hold a fall and the holds are loose - gripping stuff. Film finishes with Katherine dispatching 'Balance it is' at BBG. Shiv is out of sight on belay but is very happy when Katherine tops out - its funny. Quite enjoyed it, not amazing - but thats only my opinion and I'm not into hard trad. Andy explains he has never had the urge due to an overwhelming sense of his own mortality - I agree wholeheartedly.
Having had two days off I have a good time at the board yesterday, but its warm. Perhaps theres something in this resting lark?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

my fingerrs are in absolute tatters...

pascal said...

I really am a naughty boy. I think it's good that you have named and shamed me Dobbin. In fact, I would have done it myself if I had a blog (or do I actually have a blog that no one is aware of, in which I slag EVERYONE off for being fat, weak, ugly, and then I chastise myself for being jealous, shallow, and inconsiderate?). Is this why I am not getting a reply from Mark about some shoes??? I'll be in touch.

Keith

Unknown said...

everyone except me. i love your blog for that reason