Tuesday 11 March 2008

fat doc

After 14 years of climbing at the Foundry I should not still be impressed by Jerry Moffatt being there. He does own half of it after all. Got chatting about surfing, and he reckons there are waves on the east coast that would reach the height of the wave (!) - I'm sceptical, but he shows me a picture on his phone showing a tiny surfer dwarfed by a wall of water, you would think it was a picture from hawaii or something but for the colour of the water which is brown. Jerry goes at tea time and I move into the furnace to try Leo's problems on the board. It feels like I am moving better this week, but still miles off the Moginator - whose power becomes more obvious as I fail on his warm ups - again!! but, I'm not getting obsessed about training again just yet - am making the most of this volume phase - and loving it.
 
Ginger Rich (foundry regular and recent admission to ranks of medical society) arrives and after some normal communication, makes a quip that he can't do the problems on features because he is earning so much money that he has gotten fat. I am stunned. He's not fat, but this is a rather conceited thing to say. I suggest that for the bad things he must have to deal with in the course of his work he deserves a fat pay packet, to which he responds that its not that bad, and that at least he hasn't had to put his finger up anyones arse for a while. I blurt out that I would have thought that would be right up his street, and theres a poignant silence. Brilliant. My work here is done. I leave.

7 comments:

bonjoy said...

ahahahahahah
He deserved that

Paul Bennett said...

i had a similar experience where he was excited as he'd had to sign a lot of death certificates and got a sum of money from each one. Not a great way to look at the death of someone IMO.

Anonymous said...

what bonjoy said.

Unknown said...

legend. have a medal!

pascal said...

ha ha. Good thing I wasn't there... seeing Jerry would have been like Christmas, Birthday, Hannukah, Retirement, Barmitzva, New Year, and losing my virginity, all rolled into one second of pure joy. I need to sit down.

dobbin said...

Jerry (it struck me this morning in a reflective moment on the drive to work) is like an aging tiger. You can see the skeletal musculature remains, and he still knows how to move. A wiley performer if ever there was one.

Stuart Littlefair said...

You're a real poet Dobbin...