Thursday 5 February 2009

Jerry Motivator

In the olden days, when people were forming the first ideas about training, everyone was keen to guard their secrets so that they could get the edge. My heroes were famously secretive about what they did to train, and in Jerry's book, all that I longed to know growing up is laid bare. I know I keep harping on about it, but you must understand that Ben and Jerry have been my heroes since I was 15 (am now 32). Not only is it funny, but its motivational.

I've realised I am like a Jerry Moffatt who never got as good. So many of his foibles are also my foibles, his neuroses, ego etc. However, my ego has been kept down by my relative level amongst my peers being so much lower. Because Jerry was actually better than everyone else so his ego developed. Reading it, I find myself thinking that sounds like something I would have done, perhaps slightly more bashful. He talks about how before a comp he changed his attitude to be that of a winner, and how he channelled his thoughts into the positive belief that he could win.

Stu little tuned me into looking for a specific secret, and I can reveal that I have located and purchased said secret for myself. You are about to witness the death of mild mannered Ben Morton, and the birth of a new force in rock climbing. Now I have no interest in comps, but as a microcosm of the redpoint they are an interesting mental test. I approach a problem thinking 'blimey, all these strong guys are failing, I'm going to as well' and then I fall off - its no suprise really. What I need to do is to approach the problem knowing I can do it. Success breeds success. I've had comps when I have done something I've seen someone I consider strong fall off, and I've gone from strength to strength - because I start to believe I could be stronger and better and therefore do well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ie feel like you're the best. I'm sure its what happened in my job interviews last year. went into one thought look at all these gimps and hey presto a job! the same must occur in climbing

Fiend said...

"You are about to witness the death of mild mannered Ben Morton, and the birth of a new force in rock climbing."

The audience simply cannot wait!