Monday 18 May 2009

Charles Atlas

Saturday it rained and rained. I was fairly sure the tor would at least be dry but everyone wanted to go to the works for a pre trip 'tune up'. Added to that my hangover and the appeal of good coffee and not much driving, I went to the wall. It was immeadiately obvious I was going to be shit. Left before the end of my slot, but it was good to hang out and enjoy the collective pre trip psyche.

Yesterday I went to body pump with the Honey monster. As per usual it destroyed me and my legs hurt today. THere is a horrible man who goes to this class called Charles. He must be in his sixties and has quite a paunch. The class is basically light weights to hard house music. The point of it is to go through the whole range of movement and I would imagine its intention is to tone rather than bulk. I like it becuase its quite funny and I find it hard. Anyway, this guy Charles always loads his bar up with far too much weight and lets out Gaz Parry elephant noises whilst trying to shift it. This leads the honey monster and I to discuss the duty of care of the gym management and whether they are irresponsible - the first point is that this guy is not making the most of the workout (well, thats up to him isnt it?) and the second is that if he injures himself effectively under supervision then whose fault is it? I know there will be some sort of disclaimer and the gym will be able to get out of it, but shouldnt they have a duty of care to him? shouldnt they tell him to chill the fuck out? And anyway, he is pretty old. I wouldnt be that suprised to learn that he had dropped dead in the middle of a class through over exertion. Not that that is what I want to happen, but you should see the colour his head goes whilst he performs these exertions! puce. Its good to try hard, but theres trying hard and theres walking the tightrope above the pool of injury.

At the same gym theres an incredibly thin woman. The first time I accompanied the monster to the gym she was there, and has been (up until recently) every time I have gone since. When I first clapped eyes on her I thought she looked like some sort of Triathalete perhaps - massively fit, but lithe rather than thin. She looked athletic. Then when I have seen her recently she looks like Skeletor after a bad weekend in a hard house club. Massively sunken eyes, painfully painfully thin and ill looking. The point is, clearly this woman has an eating disorder and is using exercise to burn calories - she has been in the gym for hours and hours every day and the weight is dropping off her. Shouldnt they say something to her? Perhaps they did and she's stopped coming. The question though, is whether it is their place to say anything?

Anyway. Important gossip - Martin Smith did Superman. He's pretty impressive when not injured it seems. Very good effort and big news in my world. He used the crimp apparently, so actually it should be Martin does Superman2.

Climbing tonight at the Climbing works with Ed. Tomorrow rest up for Wednesday - the next cave raid. THen I will rest all the way through to Magic wood. First climbing day will actually be Monday, so thats a whopping 4 days rest! I think for once such a mammoth rest is justified as I'm still struggling on with this poorly finger. Perhaps an extended off period will enable me to do the business when we get there - and thats all I am bothered about. Actually, its not. My focus is shifting to Magic wood, but I still have urgent business to attend to in Wales on Weds.

5 comments:

Fiend said...

Interesting social commentary.

Surely the set-up is better than hard weights to light house music?? Hmmm actually dunno....

Paul Bennett said...

"Not making the most of his workout" have you seen some of the advice handed out by instructors in that gym? I've heard some pretty funny stuff.

I can't believe you're going to bodypump... whats next boxercise?

Paul Bennett said...

Just a few questions, is 'Charles' grey haired, orange tanned and the one who also does the yoga shizzle? If he is, that was the guy that was in the steam room doorway in speedos as I walked in doing stretching. He has quite a belly. Not nice!
Is the stupidly thin woman blonde with kind of frizzy hair that she puts up at the back, if so its the same one that decided to do dips on the back of my bench mid use.
I've joined and re-joined this gym a number of times over a number of years and she's always been there.

Paul Bennett said...

or there's another one who's stupidly thin, also stupidly small who is an ex competitive swimmer, she's always in there as well. F'n impressive in the pool!

dobbin said...

Pretty sure my charles cannot be your charles, as this one has no tan. And bad varicose veins (probably from over exertion at body pump!).

The well thin lady could match though.