Tuesday 5 May 2009

Commuters Choice?

So, after the previous tale of turbo woe the car was deposited back at the garage. They stripped it down and discovered play in the turbo spindle - which is terminal in turbo stakes. We spoke, we cogitated, we decided as it drove (but not on the motorway), that we had nothing to loose trying to part exchange it, so they built it back up again, and on Saturday morning I collected it. I had arranged to go to Huddersfield to meet a Volvo dealer, as I thought I quite fancied a Volvo V50 :



We went, we drove, we liked. Well, liked is a bit strong. It would have been highly practical and wasnt awful would have been more accurate. We agree a deal, and so that we dont appear desperate, she and I jump in the car to go around the block to have a think. At which point mine starts with a PTSCCCHOOOOOO! and lots of black smoke. Shit. We limp back to Sheffield in silence, terrified that we'll not even make it up hills etc. The car gets dumped back at the garage and we go off to a barbecue to get pissed.

The next day we're trolling about in her car when she suggests popping in to one of these Ford dealership car warehouse supermarket things. I decide as I dont actually want a car from them that I will sacrifice my chances and see what happens if we tell the truth about my car. Salesdude lets me explain and asks whether mine would drive off a low loader and into a car auction. It would of course, so I say as much. Salesdude tells me not to mention it again, and he will pretend he didnt hear the first time. I feel slightly uneasy, but grab the lifeline and hold on for dear life. He takes down our requirements and comes up with an Astra. My heart sinks - I dont want an Astra, they get a terrible review in the motoring press, and whats worse its a 5 door one. But, its a sporty looking one, and to be honest its actually looks allright in the flesh.



The thing is, what I can afford and what I want are quite different. I would like a beemer estate with low miles, but I would need it on an 06 or thereabouts and with 15k miles - well that car would be £16k, and I dont like finance. Also, own an expensive car - have to be able to pay expensive prices for everything to do with it. Own a cheaper car and its a cheaper life all round. To save you the turmoil that has defined my weekend, we end up buying the Astra. Its not my ideal car but I got a good price for mine, and it will be a capable commuting mobile. My Raven Tor transfer time may increase, but thats ok. I flirted briefly with a Civic and with a Focus ST.

On the subject of which, the very prospect of being mobile again is thrilling. Relying on lifts is fine if time rich, but we paupers need flexibility. Obviously, I havent climbed since a brief hour at the Foundry on Thursday, and before that the cave on Tuesday. I'd been dining out on cave success and recognised my need to sort the car debacle outstripped the need to climb, so when I finally got to go yesterday I was excited and pleased to even go to the wall. But, tomorrow the real deal starts again. Tomorrow I am going out. I am thinking of starting at the tor and then who knows...

No comments: