Thursday 7 May 2009

LIME!

This morning was the first (of many, no doubt) commute in the new car. The obvious change is that the A3 felt like a womb inside. It was quiet, comfortable and all the instruments were in the right place. I know I am getting used to this Astra still, but the cabin noise is greater, and it appears to be less efficient. I suppose the best way to sum it up in a positive light would be to say that where the audi felt like you were soaring on the wings of a great silent bird, swooping between cities the Astra feels and more like a go kart. Its also got a bigger boot and back doors are your friend when climbing. Packing the car is loads easier.

Anyway, yesterday I went to the Tor, to Rubicon and to that other place up the valley. All three are bone dry and whilst the air was warm, there was a fair wind and conditions weren't half bad.

I am calling the LIME!

Its tempting to make a retrospective call dated back to the 22nd April, as by some parties it will be claimed that this call is late. Let us recall the wise words of the Harris which stated that "truly the grit must be a thing of the past" before the call is made (and not to "be bullied by the keenness of youth for the call"). Plus, I felt like I climbed well last night : "climb like a legend on the day of the call". My bad finger is still bad, but it felt less so, and I breezed through the stamina band start like in days of old. Now here is another troubling matter on the mind of this years lime caller : I have never done Staminaband or Rooster booster (which it is traditional the lime caller retro flash for the season to open), but it would be in keeping with the spirit of the times to simply claim an unwitnessed ascent wouldnt it?

No of course not! the lime caller's role is one of paramount importance, and I shall endeavour to do my duties whilst upholding the high standards of integrity to which we should all aspire. I flashed Staminaband START and fell off crossing through on Powerband. I had a couple of laps to the end of powerband but the last move hurt my finger so I stepped off. Actually, I felt so good on these that this could actually be the year I finally do do Staminaband. Watch this space. Its a good summer project anyway.

I left the tor happy, and zipped around to Rubicon. Warmed up on Low right, got to the top of Tsunami and failed to do the move on that Flying Fish thing. For those not in the know, this is Tsunami to the last move then left hand go again to the bucket like sidepull. FA Mike Adams, Ned and Dave did it yesterday. Its not the greatest line ever concieved, but lets just remember, I fucking love that wall, and havent done this yet.

I pop up the road and again, its all totally dry, but my finger is panging a bit now - I must have aggravated the blummin thing, so I sack it and go to the works to campus. Theres loads of my friends there and I spend ages chatting. Do a bit on the campus board and think to myself that I am starting to get it, then Nacho arrives and amazes me.

Now then, wheres that tortoise box?

3 comments:

Char said...

'packing the car is loads easier.'

The words of man defeated. A sorry affair no mistake.

Moving on, fancy trying any routes at the Tor in the near future...?

Paul Bennett said...

despite the above you must have a chuckle to yourself that somebody took that car off your hands, although likely now it'll run perfectly without another glitch.

David Mason said...

Are any of the lines on that wall great?! Your not king again until you have done it. Neddy boy owns that title at the moment! Muhaha