Tuesday 25 December 2007

xmas time, dampness not fine

Wow. Christmas again. I seem to go in cycles of being really psyched and really ambivalent about xmas. Last year, I went to town, bought great presents and was dead dead excited, this year it seems to have crept up on me and I haven't really gotten into the spirit of things. In part I am sure that's because the last few days leading up to christmas I felt like I have been fighting a cold off. Its never fully materialised, save for crushing lethargy (exaggeration) but its taken the wind out of my sails a bit. Now I'm here, its xmas day and I feel a bit regretful that I haven't been more exciteable. I probably sound ungrateful and I'm not, I have had great presents and a nice day, but feel I arrived here unexpectedly or something. Never mind - stop moaning!

Pre Xmas, tried to go out on er, Sunday, and I lined up stanage's chief beta monkey to facilitate pre Xmas gritstone glory, but on heading out of ringinglow I could see a bank of fog at the top of the hill which looked ominous. Burbage was shrouded in fog, the high bit between bbg and stanage was just about poking out, but still very hazy, and down to stanage was like descending into a dickensian pea souper, quite atmospheric but not great for climbing. Parked up at the plantation car park planning to walk up anyway as there might be something dry. Pure people walking back down to the car park with pads. They reckoned it was wet. Called adam - planning to head further south. Headed to the works. Bumped into dribble. He reported Andi Turner sitting under the pebble and that it was wet. As Andi Turner is one of the staffs lads and thats were adam was on about, I felt vindicated going to a climbing wall when the sun was out in sheffield. Couldnt have gone to the board, I could feel this lurgy starting. Climbed like a sac of spuds. Felt rubbish, but still in denial.

Monday I felt worse, Tuesday I have felt better, but feel over worst of it. Planning to pop to the board for an hour on way to monsters on boxing day. Wonder if rubicon is dry. Suspect I will be heavy and weak. At least the chances of anyone being there are slim.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

my lovely girlfriend went for a walk along miller's dale. it is indeed submerged.

Adam Long said...

Sad to say, after bumping into you, Dribble came up to stanage, met me and the-dick-with-two-dogs, and we all went bouldering.
Well highballing.
Soloing might be a better term.
Anyway, by sunset twas lovely. The problems you wanted to try were stll wet mind. Plenty of other stuff was primo though.4

lore said...

i think christmas is about going bouldering alone when everybody else is at home, busy dining with families and send a hard problem and feel like god.
i always do that, except for the sending.