Monday 4 February 2008

back to work blues

I'm at work, which means I blog by email - so I can only link in the pics by URL. I might correct these later, but you might just have to live with it. Sure you'll cope.
 
Quite crap these to be honest, didn't take nearly enough, but when I'm climbing, I'm climbing - not titting about with my camera. Except that when I get back I always wish I had titted more. Anyway, here they are :
 
 
Felt walloped yesterday, and am taking until Wednesday off (training I mean) to allow skin to recover - still sore to the touch. Got to be something I can do to harden the tips before going the next time. Been a good trip, had a good time, don't feel too bad that I didn't do more to be honest. I knew I was climbing well before I went, and I know I could have done more but for the various set backs, but that's ok, I dont feel I was robbed, or that I wasn't good enough, just that things conspired to thwart me. In the past, its been that I wasn't up to it, and this time I think I was but other things happened. I have high hopes for the next time!
 
I thought about what Roy said whilst I was away. One of the reasons I love switzerland so is because the climbing is basic. I think he might be right and I have shortcutted my way to where I am - missing climbing skills on the way - look at my ascent of 'les cliques a claques' - I was more than strong enough to do it but had to have as many goes as I did because I had to use trial and error to refine the sequence enough to do it. When I finally did it, I had had about a million goes and was exhausted. Were I technically more competent, I would have sorted the sequence and done it much quicker. I refer to Stu Littlefair - 'you're not technically incompetent, but you are a sequence idiot'. The thing is, I have known this for ages. But I like training. I like being strong, I dont want to loose that - I've got things I want to do on the board! which makes me quite nervous about re meeting with Roy to discuss whatever he thinks I should do. But we'll see. I need to recognise that perhaps its worth taking one step back to take two steps forward...

1 comment:

bonjoy said...

Your always very welcome to come out with us weekend gritstoners if you want. It'd be great fun to climb with you outdoors more often.
You only have to watch the likes of Adam to see that spending time on grit doesn't make you weak.