Wednesday 13 February 2008

School respiratory complaint

I am outnumbered by Vodafone people at the moment. As they're a third party, my usually lax professionalism has to be temporarily hidden, so I haven't been writing as much as normal. Its their last day today, so normal service should be resumed tomorrow.

Monday night was the foundry comp. A bit harder than the last round, although I did think I was going to flash them all until I went through to the board. The one harder problem was a beauty, but considerably harder than anything else that had been set. A better comp is one where theres a good spread of harder problems, but I suppose this means that they've realised that theres only a couple of people operating at that level - theres no point setting loads of hard problems to separate them. I flashed a problem on the wave but topped out rather than finishing on the finishing hold. Got straight back on it and finished it properly and it was easier, plus, its only the foundry comp so I'm having it. Back briefly to the board one I didnt do. A good deal harder than anything else, I flashed to three moves from the top and then spent another three goes getting to the top but not sticking it. A very good and very hard problem. Didn't do it at all in the end. Ned did turn up, but didn't enter, and anyway - he had only done one other round and couldnt have beaten me anyway. Yay! So thats it for comps for another year. Which is nice.

Been so beautiful outside at the moment that I had to rush out after work. Made it home by 1600, and was at Burbage bridge at 1620. Saw Dan Variable walking up the path and walked in to west chatting about his and Ned's font trip. Sounded like it was a bit warm at north, and west was better, but almost a bit verglassy on the nose top out. That was on roy's mega list, so I got another one ticked off. Sam and Lu were out with another couple (the chap I recognise but couldnt name) and they were doing it a totally different way for shorties. Had a go on that way and it negates the long reach but is perhaps a bit more insecure. Did Not westworld. Went back to west side and after a few abortive getting everything wrong goes I was back at the top, wishing I trusted my right foot. All I need to do is have faith in friction, step left through and right up and go for it. Dan joins me and gets the second sidepull with his right, comes over with his left into the top one, runs his feet up and matches the top hold before moving smoothly back left to the jug. Pretty impressive layback smearing that looks terrifying! Give up as the light is failing and want to go and do the arete just behind it. Its scary. Get to the top but am completely convinced am about to meet my maker at several points. Dan says it does you good to be scared now and again. Have a quiet shudder out of sight on the way down. Get involved with an unpleasant wall thing to the left and keep sticking the top but sliding back off it. Its very non classic, and I dont think I will rush back.

Nic forwarded on a mail from the council which contains bad news for the school :
"I are not able to offer any firm end to the current temporary closure of the buildings (we forecast 3 to 4 weeks from the 15th January). I am waiting for Kier to provide us with a timetable for removal of the asbestos found in the boiler room.  This is, due to HSE rules, a process that can take a number of weeks.
In the meantime I have confirmed with the Council's senior Health and Safety adviser that the building will be completely secured by us so no-one may gain unauthorised access.  I will re-confirm this to all users as we know that access to the centre is being regularly made, contrary to warnings in the recent letter that we reserve the right to permanently exclude anyone found entering without express permission from us to collect belongings."

ASBESTOS! whoa! First I've heard about asbestos. Wouldn't be suprised to learn that this will be the end of the school. There may not actually be any asbestos, but they now have their legit reason to close the building. The result of this is that the other tenants are moving out - weakening the support for the campaign to keep it open. All in all things dont look good. That said, there are other meetings coming up, maybe I am being sceptical, but I can't help but think we would be wise to start the search for alternative premises.

Following Mr Bennett's latest installment of bad luck he is on the hunt for a new car. Quite an exciting, unnerving and time consuming process to embark upon. Has to be efficient as Nat drives to Wakey every day - and in my eyes this means diesel. Golf mk5 are a good car and should just about be in budget. Seat's are cheap but cheaply built - expect leaks, trim to be poor. The smart money is on a skoda fabia vrs. But, its a skoda. I would try to push for a golf I think - plus, with Paul's luck - they are dead safe. Older 3 series with 80k on might be worth a look, but expensive maintenance, and I think he thought it would be two big (imagine those two midgets rattling around in a three series!), so I think either Fabia or perhaps the fast diesel astra - the two door ones look great. Thurlby in leicester do a chipped 200bhp one. And, they're cheap as chips when you break em.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

tragedy. hope i don't get asbestosis...