Monday 7 April 2008

Kudos masterclass

Went to Nando's on Friday night. She sometimes goes with colleagues at lunchtime, so has been threatening to take me ever since. I'd never been before, and I dont think I would rush back either. There was nothing wrong with it, but its in the same bracket as Frankie and Benny's, TGI Friday et al. In fact, those two would probably object to that statement as its probably pitched even lower. Expensive fast food for people on office do's. What a scathing review - food was nice in fairness, service fine etc, other people in there were on office parties or were chavs though. Anyway, on to the cinema - were hoping to see the orphanage, but it depended how long we were in Nandos. We were too long, and ended up seeing Horton hears a who, which is an adaptation of a Dr Seuss story. Pretty good to be honest, but we were both super tired and didn't get as much from it as we might.
 
Saturday we went to the outlaws for lunch, to her nan's and finally out into Manchester for someones birthday. I'd offered to drive as I feel I have had enough drinking episodes of late, and after a nice evening (all with heavy lunch weighing me down) we headed back home at 0030 in heavy snow. Thankfully, the covering on the roads was almost non existent, excepting the very top of the snake, which is always bad. Either way, the drive wasnt relaxing - three drunk people guffawing loudly, and me glued to the windscreen (as if it would help - why does sitting as close to the windscreen as possible feel like it helps when conditions are adverse?). Home and straight to bed.
 
Sunday started off great - there was snow about, but the sky was clear and it looked mint. I got a text from Jon Fulwood to say he was out with Nige and Helen at Burbage Nth, got keen for that, then heard from Dylan that he wanted to go to the tor. As I felt like I wanted to make up for feeling scared on the end of a rope in France, I was keen to get back on (and, since having had more time to think about it, I think that was just my first experience of the season, now I feel up for it. Nothing like a baptism of fire to start the year), and hatched a plan to get on Sardine. Then Foley got involved and said he had heard from Ed Robinson, who had been for a walk down millers dale, and it was A : Freezing, and B: wet. Rubbish. Suddenly thought of the Kudos wall (this is over the course of numerous text and phone calls) and we agree to meet at Stoney, then move on to Rubicon.
 
On the way out its a full blizzard and I dont have high hopes of anything, but push on nevertheless. Cant park at Stoney and drive around to Electric quarry to walk back. Meet Ed and he points out some problems to warm up on. James turns up, and between the snow showers its ok at minus ten. Granted, there are periods when we have to press ourselves against the wall as the snow falls, but for the most part its ok, and we get to climb. I will never be a fan of minus ten, but it is good to be out. Feel virtuous. Head to rubicon for a short session. The floor is muddy, but kudos is in good nic, and completely climbable. Do the Press. clean the holds, do kneeling press - feel allright - good, clean the holds again. Ed isnt climbing, James is trying everything on quick rotation. Have a go on low right, but drop it. Know why - finger slips out of rail hold. Clean holds, rest - dispatch low right - feels ok. Pleased as punch. Clean Tsunami, have a good go, but sloper feels a bit on the cheesy side and I get ejected at full speed. Clean everything again and have another go, this time getting to the top, but not having taken the undercut quite right I only wave at the jug. More general banter from all three and we laugh much. Have another go and crush Tsunami - brilliant, it feels fine. I think as hard as Low right, its been useful to do them both on the same day for comparison. Get involved with low left and have couple of good goes, ultimately ending up with right on the press crimp, but dropping it there. Wow! psyched! I could do the trio in a session! I didnt think I would ever be able to do all three in one session, but it looks feasible. Plan also to aim to do that link up of Rich's.
 
Head home, eat tea, drink beer. Gonna have to post this without reading it back. Hope its ok!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, you were on fire! Good work. It even inspired me to do a few pull ups on my fingerboard when I got home (which is in itself quite a task...).

pascal said...

Fire? You're hotter than the sun! Good effort man, that sounds like a rather beastly little session! Keep on crushing.