Monday 28 April 2008

Home

I will write more (probably when I have uploaded the pictures and so on, and when I am less tired) later, but for now, here is a quick update on the last few days (and getting home) of our Canada trip :

So, that Thursday we went back to Vancouver, but we hadnt really realised how bored we were with the city. Bored is perhaps too strong a word - as its a great city for sure, but we really felt that there was nothing we really wanted to do or go and look at there, and, we had pretty much run out of money by then, so we didnt want to just go palming around the shops again. TC had mentioned an area we'd missed, so we went and had a coffee up there - the London road area of Vancouver, then we went back to the Arcteryx factory shop (didnt buy owt), and finally (as we were both flagging) to the Museum of Anthropology, which is quite interesting.

The politically correct term for the indigenous population of north america is 'First Nations people'. The museum is largely a collection of 'First nation' artifacts, few of which are older than 100yrs (their chosen medium for totem poles is red cedar, and I think it must be quite soft and therefore doesnt last well) but the museum (and anything you do see on display elsewhere) seems to skip over the whole episode of the colonisation of the area by europeans - which is a bit wierd. Actually, reading that back, it occurs to me that the reason there is nothing older could be becuase they never kept anything. I suppose what I wanted to see was some of their culture and heritage, some of their legends and folklore, rather than just exhibits with no text about why it is what it is.

Had a walk to granville island for tea and then wandered home with a bottle of wine. Had greatly enjoyed staying in vancouver, but really looking forwards to getting back to the countryside on Friday.

Friday arrived and typically we spent ages getting stuff together and getting out. I was like a cat on hot bricks - psyched to get out climbing. Made it to Squish for about 1300 and met up with Anne, Tim and now Matt Birch. Started off at the ZeroZero/harry met sally bloc and managed to do all the moves on harry met sally. Set about trying to link it, but could feel it biting hard into my skin, pretty sure I could do that one given more time, but wanted to climb more and moved on to this amazing problem with a daft name which is something like 'Sharma dyno problem'. I couldnt do any of it. Amazing looking problem though. Moved to a problem I was trying previously and continued to fail to do it. Anne was trying Homeboy sit start, so I joined her for a bit and between us we figured a sequence. Its made all the more interesting because theres a super low start where you start in a cave beneath the boulder, then, hugging the roof, you squirm out to join the sitter and continue up from there. Very good. My skin is nearly through by now, and after a quick look at some hideous projects Matt, Tim and I have a quick gander at Wormhole (or world?) Matt does it, and I might as well have not had a go as everything hurts too much and have to sack the session. Drive to the sushi shop but theres a massive wait so its back to the ranch for Pizza and wine. Talk shit until 2200 and turn in. A long day awaits.

For some reason, I couldnt sleep. I was perfectly comfortable, warm, etc, but I just couldnt get off. Last time I noticed the time was 0230, and I think I managed some sleep because the next time I looked it was 0540, then 0845 - I must have been dozing. Got up, did some sorting and Anne, Tim, Josie and us two departed to hike the chief. It was a gorgeous day. Felt decidedly shaky after a few minutes, and had to consume emergency rations on the shoulder before the final summit push as was feeling quite sick. This made me feel much better, and after a bit of lunch on the top we zipped back down and the Honey monster and I set off home. Lovely to see the family Clifford (and Matt) and tres cool to be able to stay in such nice surroundings at their house. Zoomed back to Vancouver, made it in an hour, popped to a shop to get these shoes I was after, and then back to the hire car office, which we didnt actually know where was. We had to have the car back by 1600, and it was 1554 and there was no sign of the damn office! drove like a lunatic and eventually found the office, but they were shutting, ran in and managed to give them the keys before they could lock the door! phew. Cab to airport. YVR must have been recently renovated as its amazingly nice! ate, drank coffee, mooched - got on the plane. 8 uncomfortable hours (and no sleep later) we arrive in Glasgow. Depart Glasgow early and arrive back to Manchester at 1350. Bags are all off ok and in reasonable time, and we get a lift to the outlaws to collect the car and have tea. Both feel wacked.

Made it back to sheffield at about 1930, after a drive fuelled by tea and red bull. Managed to stay up until 2100 and then slept until 1130 this morning. Little cat is very happy to see us, house is still here and all allright. We have had a lovely time, but Its still good to be home.

3 comments:

Adam Long said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam Long said...

Yeah the anthropology museum is a big disappointment, only serves to remind you how young the country is and how badly the natives were treated. Instead I went for a walk along the beach only to find it was nudist and full of wierd old leathery guys with their cocks out. And I got on the wrong bus, bad day. I did like the sculpture of the raven on the oyster though.

dobbin said...

Yes to seeing that raven on an oyster thing, its called rotunda by bill reid. Got a rubbish snap on her camera phone which I shall add to my flickr stream (photos now uploaded btw). That is the best bit ofsaid museum. And that's only one bit. Haida I think they said he was. What did he do for the airport do you know? Actually, google might tell me that.