Thursday 10 April 2008

Peckitt downgraded...

Red sky in the morning clearly means the shepherd plans an evening on the grit. It was mint last night. Best conditions this year at Caley? well, from my limited experience at least. Started on Rabbit paw wall - becoming a favorite this, then fingerknacker crack, otley wall and new jerusalem. Moved to Ben's groove and returned to high point, trying everything to move left foot but still be incapable. Its not that I cant do it, just that I completely know that to move my left is to fall off. I think I need to see it done. Someone has been on the sitter - theres chalk all over it. Move to ZY. Start from head height - feel ok on the holds, and individual moves are ok, but I feel scared. I think I need a spot. I'm not committing to anything, always half looking over my shoulder to make sure I have a pad underneath me. That landing is not good. I fell off once and managed to stab my leg down between the boulders beneath and just thought - nope. Not one for a solo visit. Ed's achievement goes even more up in my eyes. Such a fine fine effort. I think I can support my 'I just need a spot' theory by pointing out that when I have been there with other people I have done it in two sections - whilst when I am on my own I do single moves!
 
Head to Almscliff. Straight into the cleft to do Jess' roof. It funnels the wind, but the last bit of the sunshine is really really beautiful, and I spend some time sat on my pad soaking it up. Lovely. Do the last section a couple of times - working out how to hold the holds, then do it from head height. Start at the start and keep getting to the end but failing. Tom Sugden arrives and joins me for a chat. Smith turns up and they go off to warm up. Another 53 (!) goes take place and I still havent done it. They come back and both crush. I try again and get up to the top but I dont take the pocket quite right and fail. I didnt want to change to their sequences so late in the day as I really thought it was on a next go tip. Never mind. Martin down grades Tom Peckitt's nicest man in Yorkshire status to #2. Much banter and 'high jinks'. Sack it off and join Ben Meeks and Rachel Seymour at Demon wall roof for Smith to try the exorcist. I do Demon wall roof and dolphin belly slap and feel knackered. Martin looks hot on Exorcist, I also get shown Stu's roof. These yorks people get some serious mileage out of a tiny bit of wall/roof. Bit like raven tor really!
 
Anyway, I think I may have managed to get an invite to the bingley board. Had a lovely evening inspite of not achieving anything new. Couldnt help but think that it might be the last of the gritstone sessions until september?

No comments: