Friday 6 June 2008

Two Terrified to count

Have you ever gotten so pumped that you feel sick? no, not sure I have either. But I thought perhaps i was/had last night. On the way home I felt completely flat. I think I should have taken another power jack and pre placed it in the car for the return. I was walloped when we climbed back out of the valley at 2100 - we'd talked about going to meet Variable, Jon and Quizmaster Haggis down tordale, but it was late and I thought I might pass out. With hindsight, I have a terrible arse this morning, and suspect the sausage and pesto pasta is at fault.

Paul and I quested down into Cheedale last night. We went to Two Tier - and it was lovely. There's something quite wonderful about Cheedale. It feels like another world, although less than ten miles from Buxtonia, and not as far as I remember to walk, it seems somehow more remote than other places in the Peak. Perhaps its that you cant actually see any roads or buildings or something, but it feels more adventurous. As we walked to and from Two Tier we gazed across at the Spider on Plum Buttress. This just looks amazing. According to cockfax it gets climbed in a single push, but Paul thought a hanging belay on the slab made more sense. I've no experience in these matters so just nodded and worried whether I would be too terrified to go for it, but I suppose it would be a nice clean fall if nothing else. I must remember to question Kristian about it when I see him next.

Someone has built stepping stones to cross to Two Tier. One of them collapsed under the bulk of Bennett, so its perhaps fair to suggest that they need a bit more work. We mis read the guide and started on what we think is subterfuge. I lead and have to try but manage to succeed. Paul seconds. It turns out to be a 7a right of where we thought we were. We do subterfuge and move down to Entree. The rock down at this bit is amazing. Very compact, high quality limestone with little or no polish. Entree looks very good, and before long I am eyeballing a gaston by the second bolt at the end of a continuous push from the floor. The move feels totally improbable, and to be completely honest I dont feel I work out a good way of doing it all night (although I have since thought what it might be). I dog past the stopper move and race to the top. Its easy after bolt 2 so you would expect a hard low section, but it seems to all come down to one move. I'm pretty keen to get back there and have another go. Fresh skin, perhaps a bit cooler - could be on.
 
We finish our evening on Countdown, a 7a+ to the right of entree. My lead. First bolt is high, but the climbing isn't hard, then there's a hard move passing the first bolt that feels out of character with the rest of the difficulty. I wimp out and have a rest (beaten by a 7a+!). The move involves a vague left hand pinch, and then a teetering wobble over a bulge to a sharp crimp that looks better than it is. Then a bit more scratching before the biggest hold in the world. I come down, Paul goes up, gets there and wilts. I go again, get to the last rest in a continuous push but cannot pass the final groove. Actually, when I say I 'cannot', what I actually mean is my testicles have shrunk and I 'won't'. A dude I recognise comes over and starts shouting encouragement, but I just want him to fuck off so I can strip it and go home. As he points out, what's the worse that can happen? I know, I know, but I'm tired and being a gimp. Eventually he goes and despite a lacklustre final push I end up threading the bolt and lowering off. Phew.

Feels like I have been spoilt with tickets this week. Two full length outdoor sessions both of which have felt like a weekend day at the end of a week day! and now its the weekend! two actual days off. Brilliant. Anyway, I think saturday morning club is on. I am planning to depart Sheffers at 0830 to be somewhere by 9. Kinda thinking of the Tor/that secret place as will only be out in the morning, and that would suffice.

No comments: