Monday 2 June 2008

Young boys and lying

I think I have discovered a problem with the Climbing works. I think that the windows are responsible for the building heating up and becoming unclimbable. If, as yesterday - the sun is out, the interior of the building heats up and no amount of fanning cools it down. Board the windows up. We're not there to sunbathe, we're there to crank.

Another problem with the climbing works is twerps. The Foundry doesn't get twerps (actually, the Foundry does have one prize twerp), so why does the Climbing Works? I know not. Previously on these here pages, this writer named names and got into trouble for so doing. I'm going to change the habit of a lifetime and learn from my mistakes. I want to make a general point about lying and false expectations of self and leave it at that.

Boys (I dont know girls that do this you see), why are you so desperate to show everyone how good you are? what do you gain from making shit up that you've not actually done? (kudos) it could be argued that I am just a miserable bitch and I dont want to believe anything anyone tells me, but last night someone made what I expect are false claims. The claimant has never been seen outside, or indeed, with a rope on, and is now claiming to have done a technical face 8a (the toilet) and a pumpy roof (albatrossity, 8a+). Thats not to say that I can definately prove that the person in question is lying, but I strongly expect that to be the case. Clearly, I'm not everywhere always and I could never say for sure - people do have good and bad days for instance, but from what I have seen of this person and their abilities I would be very suprised.

So, why does it matter whether or not said person is lying? it matters to me because I have spent a lot of time training to get to that level, put in much time and effort, and (as far as I know) they haven't - and it makes me cross! They're claiming to be at that level without having paid their dues. The right answer is not to let it bother me, I am where I say I am, I'm not lying - I don't claim things I haven't done - rise above it, keep plugging away, ultimately, the truth will out. Anyway, I could be completely wrong, but i feel pretty strongly that I'm not.

Another micro rant - false aspirations. If I saw you at the crag and announced I was going to get on Rainshadow and that I expected to do it by the end of the year, I would hope that you would laugh at me. If you didn't I would at least hope that you were just being polite, and that inwardly you were thinking - get a grip man! If you have climbed 7b route, then try 7b+, 7c and even 7c+ routes, don't go and get on an 8a+ and expect you will be able to do it by siege - I mean, ultimately you probably will but in the process you will have to spend ages polishing up a route that's out of your league. Its good to aim high, but be realistic. Someone asked about Revelations last night - I presumed they were at that level and enthused about the route, even imparted what little I knew of it, then it turned out that this chap had never even been to the tor and had not yet climbed 8a.

You could be reading this thinking - what a bitch! good for these keen young punks... and maybe I should be more tolerant, but from what I'd seen it appears that person a is lying, and person b is going to spend a lot of time dogging. Then again, the wall is very different to the crag, perhaps these guys have hidden depths? I shouldn't care, but it dents my psyche and certainly makes me consider taking out an annual membership at the foundry!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

join the foundry.
oh yeah i'm going to do dreamtime in the winter.

Anonymous said...

Are you calling me a lier? Do you want proof that I did Action Direct on my lunch break? You make me sick with your jealousy.

You'll be laughing on the other side of your face when I sneak into the school and do Stuey's with your mum on my back

dobbin said...

No, I'd be calling you a LIAR ;-P

If you do sneak into the school you will likely combust and burn to death in minutes. Come on dad - get a grip.

Char said...

Agree with this mornings sermon totally.

I actually have the opposite problem in the castle - peoples aspirations are too low! Strong guys, good climbers, people I train with and occasionally, (on some specific moves), get burnt off by, the hardest thing they can think of trying is West Side Story. Its frustrating.

I always say 'How many 8a's have you been on?"
'None'.
'You know why you haven't climbed 8a then..."

Fiend said...

This is more like it!!

Naming names would be good thought :)

Adam Long said...

Aye well, I remember everyone saying this about Neil Dickson a few years back, now look at him.