Wednesday 12 September 2007

Ibiza finale

When I last wrote, we were in between the morning and evening stages of space. I had a sleep, we ate out, picked up jasper carrots son and got back to the club for about 1130. I had a sniff around and located myself in the discoteca (inside) bit. Firstly there was someone called dave phillips on, and he was playing boring prog. Then a thin ill looking man called ivan smagghe took over at 12 and it got better. James allerton and I discovered we could nustle in next to the booth giving a birds eye view of the decks. It was obvious that something was afoot when the engineers made space for a third deck, and then the wizard himself arrived. Dressed as ever in black jeans and a black t shirt he carried a smallish record bag which he sifted whilst ivan played his last 15 minutes. Jeff queued his first record whilst the engineers installed a 909 and finished plumbing in deck three, and then - the show began. Starting slowly to blend with ivan, but fast moving on a gear and getting into more familliar mills territory, an hour passed with nothing more than a gentle lift in tempo and the usual flittering elfin finger touches flying over the mixer. Then came the 909 - wow. Live drum programming over the mix - incredible. Jeff fades the 909 in and it just gets harder and harder, the purity of the sound being created live is noticeably clearer than that of the pre created records and it adds to the supercharging effect on the mix. A quite incredible 3hrs of techno - taking us till 5am. Left and got a cab home. James and I went for a walk through ibiza town to find food. Almost noone about - strange. Slept till 10am - rubbish! Could have done with more but got up and went out anyway. Walked to the old town, drank coffee, tried to sleep, went over to san antonio to watch the sunset. Had some tea and a bit of cullys herbal cigarette - did me no favours and I had to leave. The last day (yesterday) was spent on talamanca beach which was delightful. Flight home went without incident, and I am off work today, so plan on doing washing and going climbing.

4 comments:

pascal said...

Praise the wizard! School or Nige's board on thursday eve. You're invited big man!

Paul Bennett said...

niges board is good but its not school.

pascal said...

The great source of pleasure is variety.
-Samuel Johnson

dobbin said...

aw man! I think I have to go to Meadowhell, but it depends on whether the monster works late or not. I will text you if I am allowed out! Love and hugs