Friday 28 September 2007

I hate computers...

What a week. I went in to work on Monday morning, and everything seemed quite normal until about 10am when the incidents and crisis calls started to appear. Without going into too much detail, a fairly major customer facing system was having serious issues and only me and one other colleague would be able to help - niche techno area and all that, the upshot of it being that I didnt leave work until 0100 on tuesday morning. Drove home listening to what I thought was Ricardo Villalobos' new fabric mix, but it wasnt, it was Ivan Smagghe at Wasabi (where is this? theres one on London road, but I didnt think they booked DJs), arrived home and dialled in again, was online and working until 6:30am when I felt rather ill. Went to sleep till 1300, got up and worked from home until 0030 on Wednesday am. Things looking much better by now, but still no root cause established. Slept till 930, drove to halifax, worked till 1900 and went home to sleep.

As the start to the week had been so horrendous I took Thursday morning off. It was cold and I have lost weight (the W plan diet?) so had high hopes of achieving something. Warmed up and felt tired, but light on my arms. Did a bigger splash comfortably - excitement building - i usually find that quite hard, did it from the sloper and again, it all felt pretty good - awesome! drink more coffee and have a rest. The next go was good, my sequence held, I climbed positively, took the sidepull and started to press with my left hand, but as I applied presure so my hand shot from the sloper leaving a greasy paw print. Think the cold was from the wind which was north easterly - Rubicon is a south facing edge which means the wind would be blowing over the top of the edge, basically meaning that it was still beside the rocks and not actually that good nic. Had a few more goes where it looked possible, even considered changing my sequence to use something besides the sloper (which I was comfortable matching but not moving up off it) but in the end I waned and sacked it back to sheffield.

Worked from home the rest of the day, went to Thyme Cafe in the evening and that was that. Back in the thick of it today. Dont know when I will get away, but at least I have arranged to come to Caley with Ed tomorrow. Am looking forwards to being normal and climbing again.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

see you tomorrow morning fella.
Monseiur SaltBoeuf, did you go to Caley yesterday and if so, what nick was it in?

Swiss/Font/Wherever there are amazing problems and perfecto weather seems to be full steam ahead. nice.

Gasper said...

Wasabi is club in Bari, Italy. Interesting reading this blog btw.
All best

Paul Bennett said...

Thyme cafe is amazing, ended up back there last weekend, curried lamb shank...ooohhhh

Unknown said...

I too am enjoying ivan's noodlings. cheers beast, i shoud turn this off but i am fully wired having gotten fully covered in gore earlier. quite exciting will tell you about it in a week.
thyme, now they should allow me to telephone book.

Paul Bennett said...

yeah that is annoying. You can wander in and put your name down though...

dobbin said...

good knowledge gasper - ta!

Char said...

Thyme... Someone worked there as a waitress when we were students. The chef mentally and sometimes physically bullied the waitress staff, despite repeated complaints the manager turned a blind eye. I went in and actually had a run in with them, (manager and chef), about it.

I don't care what you think of the food, they are a bunch of fucking cunts. This is a good example of how you never really can trust what is going on at places; what do you really know about the companies you buy your clothes/computers/cars/food/etc from. Often big corporations are actually better because despite questionable ethics or working practices at least there is transparency about it.

I had forgotten about this; I can't express enough how much I would like to burn that restaurant down.

What an unusual rant.

dobbin said...

I remember you saying that now you mention it. I think i need to start taking gingko biloba - seem to forget all sorts of stuff like this.