Monday 3 September 2007

Pre Ibiza training schedule

"Without doubt the best conditions at the tor this year" said Nige to Adam on Saturday morning whilst pacing about a deserted Raven Tor. Where was I when these freakish cold near perfect conditions were being experienced? Nursing a hangover in Sheffield. Well done. Consider it training for the coming weekend in Ibiza. Sister came over on friday night and we went for dinner at Catch. Nice evening - got drunk. Saturday started slowly with a walk a long the top of Curbar, cut down into the woods at froggatt and back to curbar gap. Finished with tea and cake in Calver cross roads where, whilst waiting in the queue minding my own business, a large blond polish man bounded over and demanded to know when I was next going to the school...

It was Polish Dave. He wanted to know whether he could come to the School as my guest. I said he could - but I didn't explain that there is a two guests per member rule. Climbing at the board is part training, part hanging out, the energy in the room is dependant on the people in it - overly competitive is not good, neither is too chilled. There's a mysterious mix of the right elements which can electrify a session. Part music, part banter, part collective psyche and in the right constituent parts has the effect of making you pull harder. Its not that I dont think I get negative energy off PD - I dont know him to judge what vibes he gives out, but the formula for a good session seems to have more success based on known quantities. Perhaps its that he has been sneaking in by himself thats p155ed me off and now I dont want to let him in legitimately. Gonna have to change the front door code.

It rained on Sunday so I took the monster to the Climbing works. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter - Ah well. Rounded the day off in the Rising Sun doing the quiz with a team of brainboxes. Dont know what the score was but managed to get in some more pre-Ibizarre training again - it all counts.

Britain's best bum doctor - Dr James Foley, has just been to the County with Lauren. Everyone's 'getting my GF into climbing' plans seem to be progressing apace. Paul B has been taking Natalie to the works, and she seems to be going well. Will this change the face of climbing in the future? will there be a team of girls roving about the crags competing with the boys? Will there be an all boys together backlash? On the subject of the County, there's some talk of a weekend there (presumably boys only) on the penultimate weekend in September. 22nd, 23rd? keen?

Plans for climbing this week are as follows : tonight was going to be all about the board. BUt the promise of Polish Dave and the current good conditions are making me think I want to go to the Tor. Coupled with which, Nige has just rung and suggested as much. So it might be the tor tonight. Ed says he is going to rubicon. Wednesday then might be the board night. Friday I fly to ibizarre, but not until 1500, so have chance for an early morning tor or board. depends how it goes tonight I suppose. Then I will be in ibiza until next tues. Wednesday I am off work, so I might go out then....

I am delighted to report that Ed 'The human pinching machine' / 'boom boom big guns' Robinson made the lovely Colette cry whilst on holiday somewhere spanish. No, he didnt show her his button mushroom collection - he proposed marriage. Presumably when he managed to catch her, she accepted his proposal (no doubt at gunpoint), so big props to those two.

5 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

Jeez after Seb's emails you NEED to go to the board, the tor will be there forever the board will not...I'm going to head up later to do some bench as I don't feel like yesterdays works session was worth anything.

pascal said...

Three Things;

1. Girls getting into climbing. This is a Godsend, since they can then be expected to come and spot you. As a bi-product of this they will bring tasty food and fresh coffee. No longer will you be cold, starving, and feeling like a loser.

2. The works sucks. I made my 4th visit since it opened yesterday. Once again a great lack of hard problems, which meant I had nothing to do after about an hour. GREAT.

3. Is this drinking and Ibiza lifestyle part of some mid life crisis? What happened to protein bars, maximuscle, and weighted deadhangs?

ps. Congrats Ed.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the congrats chaps.
Agree with all comments too. Works provides a fun diversion, but still yet to feel the satisfying after-glow of a "proper" indoor session from that place. Have left with scars and wounds, but not a lot else (I believe Paul has had a similar experience at least once...).
Keen for the County, but alas, cant do that weekend for tis my ma's birthday which will entail a trip down saarf. Any other dates perhaps?
Is Dylan back from ZAR?

Paul Bennett said...

Once? I've visited less than ten times and during that time have hurt my shoulder, done a finger and then the leg!
I found the fixed board to be a bit less terrible than I remembered, and really not bad for filthy crimp problems (slight lack of the tiny holds above half height), but you can't do that every session unless you are a relative of Godskins.
Although the comp wall problems seemed more basic this time there's still a lot of heel up, both feet on sidewall stuff going on and in the end it all detracts from pulling damn hard.
Girls getting into climbing is good, although be wary of beginner spotters they have a tendancy to divert your back into their knee or something else softer than the mat.
Congrats to ed as well... :)

lore said...

the jury is still out, here, on the matter of climbing girls. although they can provide a safe spot, this not often occurs, because, for example, a nice butterfly can provide enough distraction for you to be left dangerously alone while off the deck...
but, if theres some alchemy, the thing can be a bliss. if the girl understands deeply the importance of bouldering in your life, and how much you rely on her to be safe...ahhh, the perfect send.
ive sent my hardest with only my g/f spotting, and i also hit her with a leg during one bad fall: so i was concerned about hurting her again, and didnt want to committ again, but she said "dont think about me, dont be afraid to hurt me, just think about climbing the problem" and thats what i did. i only had to stop at a HM market for some fancy dresses on the way home!!!
Nibile.