Thursday 19 July 2007

Alain Robert in S2

"Come and support the campaign" they said, "we're gonna climb the drainpipe at the school" they said. I thought well, I haven't got any slings or owt, so I will just go and be on belay duty. But no. Nic zipped up the drainpipe without placing any runners till the very top, and then pressed on to the apex of the roof. Shit! I was quite psyched but a bit nervous. Took Nic off belay and Soloed up to about half height, whilst Seb and Tom did the same on the other side.



I arrived at the cross pipe, and I had the fear. Figured I would stand and chill and get it together and then place my trusty sling. I was getting sweaty palms, which when clinging to a drainpipe is not a great strategy. I larks footed my sling around the 'pipe, but it was not high enough for me to hang from without supporting myself. Had a moment. Unclipped from the sling and replaced it higher and in a far more sensible position. Sat back in my harness with my weight on the sling. Sigh. Now I could admire the view. And what a view. A lovely evening to be scuttling around buildings high above sheffield.

On returning to the ground and packing away our kit, Nic and I got harangued by a local gent who wasn't sympathetic to our cause. He lives with clear view of the building and was sick of kids vandalising it at all hours. I can understand his frustrations, and we explained that although we were mounting a campaign, we didnt hold much hope of success. Our empathy won him over and he refused to let us leave without shaking hands.

2 comments:

Nigel said...

Why do I always turn up to these things by accident? I got so pumped locking off that slopey pipe that I couldn't campus anymore!

Anonymous said...

dobbin, you're still my hero.

nige, a man who gets pumped on drainage is not my hero.