Friday 6 July 2007

Basic Health Beer

Had a good night at the school last night. Temperature was up so friction was down, but I seem to be 'back on it' at the moment and felt like I climbed well (well, well for me anyway). I work at home on a Thursday so usually it would be a day for going to the works at lunchtime, but as Jon and Fee are leaving town for a few months everyone was going to the pub for faretheewells, and I made an evening of it starting at the board with the good doctor.
 
During the day I was having a pootle on the t'interweb (on my lunch obviously) and I happened across an article by Katherine about her Mountain leader training, and I thought - what a great idea! I will go and do mountain leader training! I'll become a mountain guide! like Andy Cave, I'm gonna be a mountaineer! I love being out in the hills and I don't mind walking, and it keeps cropping up that people want to go to the mountains and do sometimes semi serious objectives, so I will get the skills and it will all be brilliant! Time now 1230. Send Katherine a text all excited. She replies at some point in the afternoon and its quite expensive, and I think it will take ages. So am not going to be a guide after all. My plans of growing a beard, wearing red socks and drinking real ale are in tatters. Ah well, back to training to be a tor wad. Time now - 1500. Hours of being aspirant mountain guide = 2.5.
 
Thought it would be busy at the school for some reason, but there was noone there. Dylan was going to join us but was afraid of being burnt off. James arrives and we exchange bitter weather commentary. Warm up and dont feel as sparky as Tuesday, but it is definately warmer (or more humid, or both) so resolve to warm up slower. Still can't skip to get warm as have terrible shin splints (suspect caused by skipping with no shoes on), so coffee has to stand in (later in the pub, the effects of drinking coffee after tea time is obvious, as noone can get a word in and I tie myself in knots with verbal diarhorrea), which it does amiably. Try the move on Total Recoil - its so hard that move. I think theres a trick to it, as nearly everyone finds it really easy - except me. James is flailing. I can see that he has reached that mindset of 'I've had a rubbish go, but I know I should be doing better - so I'll have another go straight away' which leads to thrashing yourself, I try to restrain him but he is too psyched and keeps trying. His session goes from bad to worse inspite of my assertions he should chill. I think I might buy him a stopwatch.
 
Fuelled by strong coffee we seem to be doing a lot of yelping (see earlier video in prv post), and soon some of the kids from downstairs come up to investigate if someone has died (which is how it must sound). They struggle to comprehend what two half naked men are doing in a dusty room with lots of splintered bits of wood. I imagine to an outsider, that my music (which I consider fabulous intelligent techno) sounds like gay nu-nrg euro trance and this probably seals our fate as 'the two gay guys upstairs'. Manage to get up that 7c+ thing I was failing on on Tuesday, and have a go on Two Fluffy. Do 'the move', but feel past my best and knock myself back to some more reasonable problems to finish off. We should really have packed up and gone to the pub well before we do, but knowing when the session is over is more than not overruled by your heart when you are psyched and having fun. Stop strong, thats what they say, and I know this, but it doesn't stop me when I am having a good session, its like I have to capitalise on feeling good when it happens.
 
Arrive at the pub and have a pint of some strange dark beer that Joel Sauselicker is touting, its fab and I am keen. I like beer, but I know it makes you fat, and in the past I've looked into how many calories there are in it - somewhere on the internet I read that there were 220 calories in a can of stella, 130 in a pint of bitter and 127 in guiness. This morning when I looked (promised Vik I would write it up) I found that there are still 130/140 in bitter, 250 in stella but (horror of horrors) Guiness is 220! Ah well. Its got Iron in it or something, therefore its still health beer, just not to be indulged too often. Its good to be in the pub, and really nice to see everyone. I dont have long, and am about to make my excuses when more and more people I havent seen for ages turn up, cant be rude, so stay and try and catch up but really want to stay even later and get drunk. Finally make contact with the Harris, who I havent seen since he got back from Hueco. Still hasnt bought a Subaru though.
 
Tomorrow is Saturday and I would imagine that everywhere in the Peak is wet. Will probably go to the works, but really dont want to.

3 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

I shall probably be heading to the works tommorrow at some point, puntering around on the browns I guess....The weather doesn't look too bad at the minute though, nowhere worth a go?

lucy lu said...

I hope it doesn't rain
I'm sick of going to the works, even though I've only been a few times in the last month

Maybe a family trip to another wall or dry lime venue might be in order?

The good Dr is working I think

(this is Dylan BTW)

Paul Bennett said...

I guess you all went outside somewhere, weather looked good enough. Went to the works, my skin is so sore, I don't want to keep up with this circuit bollox but I can't see any other way?