Monday 30 July 2007

Summer back on!

Beautiful weather this morning - not a cloud in the sky. Actually, there is now, but the forecast for the week is good; at least until the latter half. Temps are all over the place, with some days (on http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=sheffield) reporting up to 21degrees, and others never getting past 15 (Weds) - I'm pretty psyched to get out. I was even thinking of sacking the school this evening in favour of the Tor. But, even if I drove straight there (leaving here at 1500), its unlikely I would get there before 1630 which would be peak temps. I would also have to leave at 1900. Zippy's words echo - 'climbing is not training', and 'I dont climb at all through July/August', but I feel like I have been cooped up for months and relish the chance to get out. Anyway, sounds like the Robinsonator is coming to the board which is good. Well, its good but its bad. When non standard board attendees turn up I have a tendency to climb rather than train. Willpower!
 
Wonder how much it matters? have had a couple of sessions of late where I've been climbing problems on 2 minute intervals. It's been fun and I've felt like I've had a good workout. Got to be careful not to always do the same circuit of problems I have wired, don't want to get good at doing those problems and not better at climbing or stronger. On the other hand, doing these problems requires strength and as long as I'm not lapping the same single problem then there are surely a variety of schemas getting developed. I suppose I am trying to justify going climbing rather than training. It strikes me as Zippy's 10 sets of 5 is effectively what I have been doing with more rest.
 
Gonna be a bit of a funny week in work terms: my night out on the lime is Wednesday, but I have a meeting in halifax until 1630. Fairly obviously I am going to try to get out of it. Thursday should be my Work.From.Home day, but there's a work night out in Leeds in the evening, so I should probably move the WFH day back to Weds, then there's that meeting to contend with. Everything hangs in the balance! Something will have to change, and I am adamant it shouldn't be climbing!
 
So, the weekend. Two friends got married this weekend. Cofe and Ellen on Saturday, and Dylan and Lucy on Sunday. I went to neither do because I am too good looking. Both bridegrooms feared inviting me as I would undoubtedly put them in the shade. But really, Cofe is someone I have seen around for years but never been best mates with and Dylan I have only just re-met (first met when he looked like Francis Rossi in about 1992). Anyway, congratulations to both. Hope the days went well. I will text Follicle to find out what went down. Just touching on that - Foley is back. Feel a bit wierd when your regular climbing buddy goes away for a week, like you've no friends! Anyway, welcome back James. Perhaps we will have a comment on what went down in the Magic of woods?
 
Friday was in Kent until late. Pocket Predator had caught and brought a live mouse into the house. Honey couldnt catch it so I had that to look forward to when I got home. Thankfully, what could have been a six hour mouse stalemate was over in minutes and humanely. Neither cat, mouse (or human) were harmed. Saturday morning was nice and bright and I went back to the tor. It was brilliant! there was a lovely fresh breeze and everything was pretty much dry. Mint. Very quiet until about 1130 and I felt ok, but a bit headachey (cheap red wine on train home). Put in some good links on Staminaband, and have decided its a false economy to rest on the powerband start jugs. Had a couple of goes moving through Staminaband quickly and not stopping, and it feels like I could do it this way. Psyched! Dylan turned up with some friends (where they Australian?) and promised to be back in 15 minutes. 2 hours later there was no sign of him. Smitton and junior Cattell turned up to try Hooligan. Doyle was supposed to be coming down too, but Smitton said he had rung him at 12 and he was still in bed. Finished off the morning with some laps on Ben's roof. Pleased to lap it comfortably the old way and very nearly the new way. Problem with the new way was that I forgot the sequence. Not to worry, its a less important goal than some of the other aspirations.
 
Saturday afternoon we had a mooch around town and did some shopping. Evening did nothing and Sunday went for a walk.
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you will be able to train tonight, as I dont think I shall be there now.... Sorry. Much as I would like to, I got a little carried away yesterday slimbing for far too long and I feel knackered. Shame as I havent been up there in yonks now, still was nice to be out yesterday.

Started at Satanage as a warm up doing easier highball stuff (had forgotten how tenuous Crescent arete can feel!!), then a quick circuit at higgar (breeze kept everything cool ish)then on to Toms roof where I trying to complete a link up of "Figure of 8" in Petes Power Pull. Hit the Jug at the end thrice but no cigar. Annoying as Petes itself feels pretty steady, but the Figure of eight bit is very left army which doesnt help.
Then on to Beginners wall, but my timing was poor and the sun was hitting it by 3.30pm. Got to the Top of Neils wall several times, but couldnt seem to match the top shelf. Very annoying. Its blind though and there must be a decent bit up there somewhere. Maybe I should bring step ladders as Neil did himself! Class problem though.

Probably resting today and hitting tor tomorrow.

dobbin said...

fabulous, well, as alluded to in the post I am still ponderous over the week aheads training, so perhaps (although unlikely) I might make a tuesday tor... Hmm.

did you look at that polish dave thing at all?

Paul Bennett said...

Dave and I are heading up there around 4. Had two days off to try and let my skin improve but it still looks fairly rubbish.

Nigel said...

I'm not coming tonight, I've decided you're all gay. Although obviously if I change my mind and do come I will retract that abuse. I'm gonna climb outside for a change!

Just checked Jame's scorecard. Complete Strict Blueband into complete Powerhumps Hard Way. I saw him do it, he couldn't have pissed all over it more if he'd actually got his choad out and urinated on it. Soft 8a? Come on James! Top end 8a, maybe even a /+ I would have thought. Sorry guys, I guess this proves I'm all out of interesting things to say...