Friday 27 July 2007

Desparate times call for desparate measures

Sick of the clement weather I went out on Wednesday evening, inspite of text wetness warnings from the Bennett and the Mason. First I drove to Raven Tor. The start of Stamina band looked dry, my heart started to beat a little faster - it might actually be worthwhile! Dave Parry had posted that it had been reasonable on Tuesday, so I hoped to be in with a chance. Chance, it would seem, would be a fine thing. Undercuts were fully soaking as was the start of Powerband. In fact the whole of the powerband wall appears to have taken on a minging green hue thanks to all the dampness. Walked on and found the pinches wall completely dry but that was about it. Ben's roof was alarmingly wet and with that I got back in my car and drove to Rubicon.

Yes, rubicon! if the tor is wet rubicon will be too. Well, I thought I hadnt been for a while, and it would be nice for a quick look. Ground is wet but not so much that you have to get soaked to get there, but its pretty muddy under foot. Warmed up on the three traverses and to be honest it didnt feel great to be back there. Rubicon is a nice place if the sun is out, but it was very dark overhead and something about the atmosphere felt oppresive. Went and had a look at Kudos wall and thought it felt reasonable at first, but it was that humid that touching a hold once sent it black with sweat. No amount of drying agent or cheating potion would enable an ascent of anything worthwhile. Did some old favourites and sacked it home early.

Thursday should have been an exciting non climbing day. I had a driving experience booked at Donnington park in Leicestershire. Sadly the torrential rain turned it into a three hour wait in the pits before being told they would rebook it another day. Sulked back to Sheffield and got my hair cut. Day saved somewhat by the Simpsons movie which we watched in the evening. Don't think the honey monster was that keen, but I loved it.

Friday and its another lie in for me, as I have to go to London this afternoon. Got up at 9 and went to the board for a couple of hours. The heating was on in the corridor making the whole building feel baking hot. Tidied up in the room between climbs and found a vice with which I could turn the radiator off. Probably be a bit better up there now. Frustrating the lack of support the save the school campaign seems to be generating. Whilst I suspect only a limited chance of actually saving the building I would have expected more people to come out in support. The english mentality is one of whinging on about how bad things are, but when it comes to actually doing something about it then overwhelming apathy seems to take hold. I would imagine people will be moaning on when it does close. Probably people have got other alternatives and can't see the value in protesting when the chances of success are slim.

I think I am going to make a small board in my cellar. It will probably be based around a systems board rather than a board on which you do problems. The design challenge is going to be getting panels into the cellar through the small trap door in the kitchen. Back from London late tonight, hope to get to the tor tomorrow. Have spied a line which is dry and that i plan to practice on a shunt. (its dianetics).

2 comments:

Paul Bennett said...

It can be done! I had to cut my board into several slim pieces in order to get it through the flat and out onto the balcony.
Spent yesterday taking it down... it was THE scariest board ever.
Just been up the school, good effort on the tidy, zips and I hoovered and cleaned (no green moss in the sinks) but it still looks down right dirty.

pascal said...

Good effort with the School campaign. I may have been distant (Belgium) in reality, but in spirit I have been with you each time. Each time you go the school, I am there in Spirit urging you on, silently screaming at you to hang on. I'm back in a few days so see you soon.