Monday 7 January 2008

Careless Voyeur

Saturday morning club is all well and good, but over winter its almost certainly damp in the morning, therefore its worth waiting for the sun and wind to dry things out - suggesting a nice lazy start to be the way forward. I need a full day out soon. I would broach the subject with the honey monster, but realistically - the coming weekend is Ed's wedding,  and the weekend after that is the last weekend before Cresc. I wouldn't dream of being out all day and then leaving her for a week. Other people look on and think I'm under the thumb, but I love her and want to spend my time off with her. Its difficult, but at the moment I do feel there's a nice balance.
 
I might take a day or a half day in the week. Looking at the weather this week, I might leave it until next week. It's a shame to miss everyone else though. Climbing is so much about banter. It contributes to the psyche. Sometimes I work well alone, but not always.
 
Anyway, Saturday morning followed friday night (!), which was wet. I went to the board on Friday night and did some steady problems with Joe's weight belt on. Saturday morning I went to the works to do circuits. Dave Mason went to Curbar and apparently it was good.
 
Went to see Hilary Swank in 'P.S. I love you' in the evening, which promised to be a soppy rom-com-chick-flick affair. It was. The opening scene was dreadful. The irish accent of the male lead was appalling. It did pick up, but there were some odd continuity issues. I would say about 54%.
 
Sunday - she and I went to Greens Gym. She got these free passes, which I used to join her for a change. It was fun - we did boxercise. There are lots of unfit people in the world. There was one girl who, after each request to run across the room (10metres max) would have to sit down looking quite unwell. Did housey stuff for a bit after that, read the papers, looked wistfully at the beautiful day outside, etc etc. Wanted to go for a walk but settled for a recce at Rubicon. Its not as horrendous as you might think (!) - the floor is sticky but not fully flooded (it is at Caviar), but more importantly - Kudos wall is dry. The start hold is a bit claggy at the back, but the rest of it is fine. You would have to warm up somewhere else though. Drove back up through bradwell and stopped on cloggers lane to gaze across at what looked like a perfect day at Stanage. Got the binoculars out and looked over at the plantation, settling on Careless Torque which had a few people milling around. I was too far away to see whom, but someone in a red shirt was getting up high on the arete. Got all excited and sent out a few text messages but the red shirt didn't get back there, and we went home. On getting home I got a message from Ed to say that Ryan had done it! A great effort. CT has to be the best looking gritstone line there is? Its always captivated my attention. Is it 8a or + these days? possibly even more interesting (to me at least) is that Ned was apparently doing well on it too - thats well exciting - what has happened to the ginger pipsqueak? I can only assume that since I have donated him to Varian he has come on leaps and bounds. Perhaps theres something in this climbing outside thing after all. Anyway, Ed has some footage, so I am eagerly awaiting a YouTube link....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I ge tthe hint.... I shall get it on the net this evening (no chance here at work). Its only the top section on film, but nevertheless, some record of what was fully inspiring stuff. I had seen him take a massive lob going to the top jug. Looked terrifying. 15 minutes later, it was done and looked like a cruise. Everyone was fully psyched. I had forgotten just how amazing (and high) the arete is. Surely THE King line of the peak?? Effort Ry!

Paul Bennett said...

I muttered about people coining that phrase, little did I expect it would be you.
Amazing effort from ry and ridiculously bold.